1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless and Ethernet in Same Workgroup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Bob876, May 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bob876

Bob876 Thread Starter

I have 3 PC's (2 on XP and 1 on ME) and a laptop on XP. I am using a Linksys WRT54G Wireless router. The laptop is wireless. PC's are ethernet. All computers communicate with each other in common workgroup when I use an ethernet cable for the laptop. When I use wireless for the laptop, workgroup communication is lost with other machines. No porblems accessing internet with any machine, whether wired or wireless.

Suggestions?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do you have the Windows firewall enabled for the wireless connection?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you do not have Service Pack 2 on the laptop, there is a high probability that installing it will fix your problem.

4. Bob876

Bob876 Thread Starter

I have Service Pack 2 installed and I am using Zone Alarm. Windows Firewall is turned off. The firewall is not an issue when the laptop is connected through an ethernet cable.

5. JohnWill

You can enable the firewall for each connection.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is it possible that you are configuring Zone Alarm to allow LAN access to specific IP addresses, and that list does not include the laptop's IP address when it is on wireless?

7. Bob876

Bob876 Thread Starter

The IP address was not listed. after adding the IP for the laptop, the laptop could still not access the other machines.

8. JamesE

JamesE

I had this sort of problem using a separate WAP. Then I discovered the WAP had a fixed address of 192.168.1.1 which of course was the router's address whence connected PCs became 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3. and clearly confusion was reigning. Once I told the WAP it was 192.168.1.4 (which resulted in the laptop becoming 192.168.1.5) then everything was fine.

9. JohnWill

FWIW, I'd give the WAP an address OUTSIDE the range of the DHCP server in the router. For instance, if the DHCP pool is 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.100, start your fixed addresses above that.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest driver for the laptop's wireless adapter. If it's integrated, get the driver from the laptop's manufacturer.

From the wireless laptop, can you ping the router? Other PCs by IP address? If so, by Computer Name?

Can other PCs ping the laptop by IP address? If so, by Computer name?

11. Bob876

Bob876 Thread Starter

The wireless laptop and ethernet PCs are now communicating with each other. The suggestion to add specific IP addresses to Zone Alarm's trusted zone did the trick. I had to reboot to make it work, which I had not done when I replied to that suggestion initially. Thanks to all for ending several days of fustration.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Great! So the lesson for me is to learn to say "restart" after saying "configure firewall." :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/467264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice