Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wireless and Ethernet in Same Workgroup

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
I have 3 PC's (2 on XP and 1 on ME) and a laptop on XP. I am using a Linksys WRT54G Wireless router. The laptop is wireless. PC's are ethernet. All computers communicate with each other in common workgroup when I use an ethernet cable for the laptop. When I use wireless for the laptop, workgroup communication is lost with other machines. No porblems accessing internet with any machine, whether wired or wireless.

Suggestions?

#8 ·
I had this sort of problem using a separate WAP. Then I discovered the WAP had a fixed address of 192.168.1.1 which of course was the router's address whence connected PCs became 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3. and clearly confusion was reigning. Once I told the WAP it was 192.168.1.4 (which resulted in the laptop becoming 192.168.1.5) then everything was fine.

#9 ·
FWIW, I'd give the WAP an address OUTSIDE the range of the DHCP server in the router. For instance, if the DHCP pool is 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.100, start your fixed addresses above that.

#10 ·
Make sure you have the latest driver for the laptop's wireless adapter. If it's integrated, get the driver from the laptop's manufacturer.

From the wireless laptop, can you ping the router? Other PCs by IP address? If so, by Computer Name?

Can other PCs ping the laptop by IP address? If so, by Computer name?

#11 ·
The wireless laptop and ethernet PCs are now communicating with each other. The suggestion to add specific IP addresses to Zone Alarm's trusted zone did the trick. I had to reboot to make it work, which I had not done when I replied to that suggestion initially. Thanks to all for ending several days of fustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.