1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless and ethernet problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by babysis, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. babysis

babysis Thread Starter

I have a cable modem hooked up to my router, and the ethernet cable from my router to my computer. internet and wireless were working just fine for about a month up until yesterday. it just stopped. now, either my ethernet will connect or my modem, but never both, which will not allow me to have wireless. i've tried resetting both the router and modem, but no luck. any help is appreciated. thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand what you mean. Please explain.

Do you get internet access with a computer connected via ethernet to the modem?

3. babysis

babysis Thread Starter

yes i do. but my cable modem is connected to the router and the computer, because for some reason i have to always have the usb from the modem connected to the computer in order to get any internet. i hope im explaining well enough. my husband is the computer guy but he's not home right now.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have a modem only (not a modem/router combo) with USB and ethernet ports and a normal residential service with one public IP address it is true that you cannot use both connections at once.

What is the brand and model of your modem and router? What are you trying to do and what is not working?

5. babysis

babysis Thread Starter

i have a linksys cable modem and a belkin g wireless router. the ethernet cable that goes from the router to the computer isn't getting any internet and in my network connections it is saying that there is limited or no connectivity, but the modem itself has internet and provides it to the computer i am on now..which is a desktop. i am trying to get the wireless connection to work again but to me it seems that with the ethernet connection having limited or no connectivity, that is the reason i don't have wireless..because the router can't provide it without that connection

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is the brand and model of your modem and router? I want both, not just the brand.

How do you have the modem, router and computers connected to each other?

If by "get the wireless connection to work again" you mean for a computer and the router to communicate via wireless that is independent of any ethernet connection.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/725454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice