wireless and hibernate issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

debunkcia

i use a thinkpad laptop running xp pro, connects to a netgear wireless router, using wireless encryption, via a linksys pcmcia wireless card. The issue at hand here is that when i bring my laptop back up from hibernation, it can't connect to the router. IP config shows an APIPA adress(169...). If I do a repair in the properties of the connection, it fixes it. also works if I power cycle the router. This is a really annoting thing to deal with. I was wondering if anyone knew if this was an os based issue or could there be a time out setting somewhere is my router?
Netgear wireless router WGR614 v5
Windows XP pro SP2
firewall enabled: settings are not default, although the fire wall when disabled doesn't seem to make a difference with this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thankyou,
DEBUNKCIA

debunkcia

If anyone knows of a trick or has alittle bit of direction for me so i don't have to repair the connection everytime i boot from hibernation it would really help

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
There is no "trick" AFAIK. When you hibernate, you remove power from the NIC, and lose the connection. Obviously, when XP recovers from hibernate, it doesn't do a full initialization of all the hardware. Have you tried changing the wireless client? If you use the Windows client, try the one from the wireless adapter manufacturer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online