1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless and Wired Connections - Both at Same Time?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by austinguy, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. austinguy

austinguy Thread Starter

I was reading the situation that jeverett was having. He said that his network was sporadically dropping signal. I have a similar issue on our network but I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with our wireless access point. But now that I realize it, several users on our network have both a wired connection (from their docking stations) and a built-in wireless connection at the same time. Both connections are obtaining different IP addresses. Would this cause problems?

Regards,
    Tom

2. blin

blin

it depends. if the both use the same subnet, you may have a name resolution issue. if they are in the different subnet, you may have a ruting issue. this may help. http://www.howtonetworking.com/routing.htm

3. austinguy

austinguy Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. They're both on the same subnet. Our office is configured as a simple local network using 192.168.1.xxx. So, I was reading about metrics. I see on my computer, if you go to the TCP/IP properties on both network connections and click on the advanced tab, they're both set to "Automatic Metric". I'm assuming what this means is that the first adapter is set to metric 1, and the second set to metric 2, metric 1 will be the default interface the computer uses.

Is that right? Or am I completely wrong about this?

Ideally I want it to automatically detect whether there's a hard-wired connection present and if so, disable the wireless connection. Is there a way to do this?

Regards,
    Tom

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice