1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless antenna crashing pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mason-murphy, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mason-murphy

mason-murphy Thread Starter

Hi there, I'm having some problems with my dad's pc which has been completely knackered for some time now. Although it is a reasonably fast pc, it's been running horribly slow and has had several things wrong with it for ages now which made me suspect virus infection, as he's a novice user and hasn't really been keeping up with his antivirus software. Rather than go through all the bother of trying to remove them, we decided to do a clean install of windows xp.

This has cleaned up all of the problems, but we now have a few missing drivers, mostly in the "other devices" section of the device manager, and also the wireless antenna driver was missing so I could not connect to the internet to replace these drivers.

I downloaded the latest driver for the speedtouch 121g antenna on my own pc and installed it on his pc. The antenna light blinked on and the pc reset so I thought it had restarted to complete the installation, but it just continually restarts over and over again before it reaches the windows loading screen until the antenna is unplugged. If I do unplug the antenna and restart it, the pc starts normally but resets itself as soon as the antenna is plugged in.

Does anyone know why this is? I'm being driven mad by my dad suggesting things like "maybe the internet's not switched on" or "try plugging it into a different hole" so I thought the best thing to do was ask people who know what they're talking about :)

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You made the mistake of formatting the hard drive and doing a clean install of XP without first identifying the devices in that computer and then obtaining the XP drivers for them before you started.

What's the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

Go into the Device Manager and advise what's listed in

Display Adapters

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers

Network Adapters

Other Devices

Sound Video And Game Controllers

--------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!