1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless bridge to Cable router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Michaelos, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Michaelos

Michaelos Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Thompson cable router/modem that provides phone and internet connection. It runs the wireless LAN on which I have various computers and devices around the house.

I recently bought a Sony TV with internet connectivity through either an Ethernet port on the back or a USB wireless dongle. And of course the only dongle that will work is the Sony one that costs €80! I should add that a direct Ethernet connection to the Thompson router is not possible.

So rather than pay The Man, I thought I might use one of the old wireless routers I have lying around courtesy of various old ISPs. (I'm currently thinking of using a Huawei HG556 supplied by Vodafone). It strikes me as feasible to:

(a) run an Ethernet cable from the TV to the HG556
    (b) set up the HG556 as a bridge
    (c) create a wireless link from the HG556 to the Thompson router

and so provide the TV with access to the net (as well as to photos and movie files on computers etc linked to the LAN)

The problem is actually doing it!

The Thomson router's manual suggests that once I have configured a bridge, I only need to tell it the device's (i.e. the HG556) MAC address. The difficult bit is configuring the HG556. Its manual suggests that I have to configure PPPoA and VCI and all sorts of technobabble that makes me feel small and vulnerable.

Can anyone say whether this project is doable and, if so, talk me through it please?

Thanks!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    who supplied the router - often they have firmware specific to the ISP- virgin, talktalk etc
    where in the world are you - ireland ?

3. Michaelos

Michaelos Thread Starter

Hi etaf, thanks for replying.

The cable router is a Thompson TWG870UIR and was supplied by UPC, my ISP here in Ireland.

One thing I have found is that DD-WRT would likely let me do what I want but none of the spare routers I have are compatible with it.

4. Michaelos

Michaelos Thread Starter

Just to say that I have found that none of the routers I have (including the HG556) will do what I want them to, and so I have decided to invest in a nice cheap network bridge device (€12) that a clever chap in Hong Kong is selling.

Problem solved! (Apart from having a collection of mouldering old routers to dispose of!)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1034330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice