1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless bridge with free apartment internet?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nancy91, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nancy91

Nancy91 Thread Starter

Here's my situation. My apartment complex just started providing free wifi for all occupants. I would like to cancel my current internet service to save some money, but I also enjoy streaming netflix and pandora from my Samsung BluRay player. The blu ray player is "wifi ready", which means it can connect to the internet wirelessly if I purchase a very expensive Samsung branded USB dongle, no other brand will work. After thinking of ways around this, I thought perhaps I could use my old wireless router to connect to the free internet and then connect a lan cable to the blu ray player from the wireless router, harnessing the free internet and channeling it into the blu ray player. This seemed easy in theory, but I am having trouble getting the router to do what i want it to do. I am limited in that I do not have a hardwired access to the free internet at all. The wireless router I am trying to use is a TRENDnet Wireless N broadband router, model number TEW-631BRP. It does have an option to use it as a network bridge, but I'm just not exactly sure how to get it to work. Can anyone tell me if what I want to do is possible, and perhaps help me figure out how to do it? Thanks in advance!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I advise that you do not cancel your internet service until you prove to yourself that the complex's Wi-Fi will be sufficient for your needs. You will need a fairly strong signal and insignificant interference. And, after several people begin streaming movies you may find the bandwidth to be insufficient or the contention on the wireless network to be too much.

I scanned through the manual for that router and saw nothing about wireless bridge (or AP client) mode.

3. Nancy91

Nancy91 Thread Starter

thanks for the response... I would definitely try the free internet for awhile before I decide to cancel my service, so far I've been using it on my computer and it seems really fast, even for loading youtube movies. That's why I really want to find a solution to the netflix problem so I can test it out. Although the materials for my router online do not say anything about a bridge mode, when I log into the router, i'm given the option of Wan Port Mode: Router or Bridge. Maybe this is for a wired bridge not a wireless one?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I saw that in the manual also. Don't understand it completely, but it is to bypass at least part of the router function and is definitely not the desired wireless bridge function ("extend" a wireless network to an ethernet portion).

Do you have a computer that you can simultaneously connect to the Wi-Fi and also by ethernet to the BluRay player? If so, do that and in Network Connections (assuming a Windows OS) select those two connections - right click - select 'bridge.' That should let you test.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1046215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice