1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Bridges for home networking without using Ethernet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zillah, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zillah

zillah Thread Starter

Dear Experts

Friend of mine ask me if I can connect a main wireless router which is connected to the internet ADSL and it is located inside his house to a secondary wireless router which is supposed to be used in the backyard of the house where his workshop to be able to use the internet and connected two wired printers (i.e not wireless) to the second router.

Yes I know how to connect those wireless router via Ethernet cable and he won’t to use Ethernet cable.

The above YouTube back 2010 (bit old) showing how to connect wireless router to wireless access point (not router) without cable

Does that mean I need the second device to be wireless access point not wireless router [​IMG]

I need to find out details for those two wireless routers

Thanks

2. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Yes, if it's meant to be one network, you should technically have only one router. Using an access point at the second location would make life a little easier. That said, you can use a wireless router as an access point. Some have a simple toggle switch in the settings to go between router and access point modes. On others, you can simply turn off DHCP Server in the settings and tape over the WAN port. Use only the LAN ports.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You can use a wireless router as a wireless bridge (device that extends a wireless network to an ethernet portion) if it has that feature (most do not).

Many wireless bridges are access points that include the wireless bridge capability (read the specs).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice