Wireless Bridges for home networking without using Ethernet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zillah

Dear Experts

Friend of mine ask me if I can connect a main wireless router which is connected to the internet ADSL and it is located inside his house to a secondary wireless router which is supposed to be used in the backyard of the house where his workshop to be able to use the internet and connected two wired printers (i.e not wireless) to the second router.

Yes I know how to connect those wireless router via Ethernet cable and he won’t to use Ethernet cable.

The above YouTube back 2010 (bit old) showing how to connect wireless router to wireless access point (not router) without cable

Does that mean I need the second device to be wireless access point not wireless router

I need to find out details for those two wireless routers

Thanks

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Yes, if it's meant to be one network, you should technically have only one router. Using an access point at the second location would make life a little easier. That said, you can use a wireless router as an access point. Some have a simple toggle switch in the settings to go between router and access point modes. On others, you can simply turn off DHCP Server in the settings and tape over the WAN port. Use only the LAN ports.

TerryNet

Terry
You can use a wireless router as a wireless bridge (device that extends a wireless network to an ethernet portion) if it has that feature (most do not).

Many wireless bridges are access points that include the wireless bridge capability (read the specs).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online