1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless broadband help.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gill501, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gill501

gill501 Thread Starter

Hi, I hope this is the correct place to post this dilema... I have been using wireless broadband for about 5 years now and I have never felt like pulling my hair out as much as in the last few weeks!!
    It all started (or maybe it is just a coincidence) when my boyfriend got a laptop of his own and added it to our wireless network. We got Norton 360 with his laptop and have both installed this on our laptops then too. Anyway, since then we have been losing our internet connection frequently, sometimes for days at a time, we can sometimes get it back by turning off the router, leaving it for 10 mins then turning it back on again. Even when we do get an Internet connection I cant get a web page to open first time. I get a "page cannot be displayed" error, then if i click on the address bar and hit "go" again I get the page to open. It is driving me daft!

Here's some info so that maybe someone has an idea what is wrong or can suggest to me what to do :

One Compaq Presario running XP Home SP2
    One Advent laptop running Vista
    Belkin wireless modem router G Plus MIMO
    Connected to Orange Broadband (up to 8MB)
    Router placed in spare room upstairs, laptops used in room directly underneath, never had a problem with interference
    We are 1.2 miles from exchange, supposed to get at least 4.5 Mbps!
    Actual download speed 177kbps
    Upload speed 83.4 kbps

So you see I am not sure what has happened but it is annoying, any help would be great. Thanks

2. nerdincolorado

nerdincolorado

Both of these computers worked before you added Norton 360? And had good speeds before?

Trying to disable Norton might solve your issues...

It also sounds like it could be a Router firmware or Router Hardware issue of some type...

Keep in mind too, it also sounds like an ISP Problem if you are getting those kind of speeds...

Try a speed test at: http://www.speedtest.net
    Select on the tower that is closest to you, and do a speed test...
    Post the speed and the latency or ping time here...

Let us know if that's it...

3. gill501

gill501 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply, I did a speedtest there, here are the results

[​IMG]

I looked for a firmware update for the router but there wasnt one. I am at the moment trying to figure out how to disable Norton, but havent found that option yet lol!

4. nerdincolorado

nerdincolorado

It looks like maybe Norton has did what's called a proxy on your connection...

What is your location?

But other than that... If you have a 4-8 Mbps Connection you aren't even remotly close to that what so ever...But the ping time looks relitavly not that bad for like a DSL Connection or a cable connection... But the speed looks like a 1.5Mbps connection...

I would try to remove or disable norton and see if that makes a difference... Or possibly try to plug one of the computers directly into the modem to bypass the router if you have one...

Let me know...

5. gill501

gill501 Thread Starter

Thanks, I am in Scotland, UK.
    I have disabled Norton now and will see if that makes a difference, will post 2moro.
    Thanks again

6. nerdincolorado

nerdincolorado

Here's what I got when I tested to that server... Obvouslly higher ping time... But I'm 5000 miles away...You are about 50
    1st-
    [​IMG]

There ya go...
    Hopefully you will figure it out... I'm thinking firewall issue...

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd uninstall the Norton pig and see how it works. ;)

8. nerdincolorado

nerdincolorado

Norton, Norton, Norton:rolleyes:

PLEASE MAKE IT GO AWAY!!!! TAKE MCAFEE WITH YOU!

9. gill501

gill501 Thread Starter

Well disabled Norton last night, and so far I've had no connection loss or problems opening webpages. Here is my speed test today... What do you think?

[​IMG]

thanks

10. JohnWill

If it's solved the connection issues, I think you have your answer. :)

11. gill501

gill501 Thread Starter

Yes it seems to, so would you reccommend Macafee instead then?
    Still don't think my broadband speed is very great, can I expect to get any faster? What would help? I'm only not that far from the exchange, and certainly not getting anywhere near 4.5 mbps!

12. JohnWill

Actually, I don't recommend either McAfee or Norton. I use AVG free, Avast! Free, and NOD32 on various computers here.

What is your speed supposed to be on your ISP connection?

13. gill501

gill501 Thread Starter

Were are subscribed to Orange Broadband Up to 8MB but according to BT Wholesale our telephone line should be able to support 4.5Mbps or greater.

14. JohnWill

Since telephone line quality can vary widely, and even change over a short period of time, you may simply have line problems that are causing the issue. I suspect they're just reading from a script and not really testing the line quality. :)

15. gill501

gill501 Thread Starter

Sadly I am back! I have had Norton turned off for 3 days now, I thought I had solved the problem initially as I was able to open web pages normally and no connection losses. That didn't last long though, I am now having the same problem not able to open web pages first time and we lose connection frequently! Any more suggestions guys? Thankx

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice