Wireless can't get an IP - HELP PLS!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

VegasQ

Hi everyone I am new here. I have a Compaq Presario running XP Home and I cannot get the wireless to work. I have a Linksys router and my home pc works fine throught it so I am thinking it is the laptop. I can connect to my seruce network but it says "limited or no connectivity" and when I try to "repair the connection" it says it cannot get an IP. The weird thing is that I can connect to other unsecured :eek: wireless networks in range. I am convinced it is a setting in my laptop since I can get to the internet when I plug into the router. I have been working on this for 2 weeks now and I am about to throw my laptop out the window and it;s new!

Thanks for your help!

Alright, log into the router, most likely 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.

Once you are in there, you should see a wireless connection tab.

Click on that one.

It should pop up with some info about the wireless connection, you should also have a tab for security under the wireless connection. Check under there for a password or anything of that nature. If there is, then you need to type that into the wireless config when you try and connect to that router.

Try that and let us know what if anything is there.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online