1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless can't go to Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rbrager, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbrager

rbrager Thread Starter

Time to consult the experts. I have set up my wireless router and use WPA. I can automatically connect to the router (DI-524) However it doesn't connect to the Internet over the wireless connection. It does fine when I use a cable to connect to the router.

Anyone have an idea what might be wrong?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you get a good IP configuration from your router? Or do you get a Windows assigned APIPA (168.254.x.y)? Assuming the latter it could be ...

MAC Address filtering on the router. Or some other "make my network hard to use" technique.

You entered an incorrect WPA passphrase on the PC. Disable encryption, get a successful wireless connection, try WPA-PSK again.

Wireless interference (e.g., 2.4Ghz cordless phone or another wireless network on the same or close channel) sometimes has a bigger negative impact on secured networks.

3. rbrager

rbrager Thread Starter

Hi
    I do not use MAC filtering. It looks fine if I do a "ipconfig /all". IF the WPA key is not correct the machines would not connect at all. XP tells me there is a good connection with recognition. At the moment the notebook is about a foot from the antenna.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you ping the router? An internet address? An internet name?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Just because you get a good connection, that doesn't mean you actually got connectivity.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

6. rbrager

rbrager Thread Starter

John,

Here is the requested info.

Thanks all for helping. BTW I am now connect using my hardwire connection.

C:\Documents and Settings\Robert B>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : RAGER03
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : columbus.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-0D-47-96-72

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : columbus.rr.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11g Mini Card Wireless Adapter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-D3-7C-6C-6D
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.102
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.186.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, February 10, 2007 8:41:09 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, February 17, 2007 8:41:09 AM

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Agree with you that the ipconfig /all looks good. What about the pings I asked about?

Do you have Service Pack 2? Latest driver for the wireless adapter? Do you use Windows XP's WZC or the adapter's utility to manage the wireless? Are you sure the other one is not running?

8. rbrager

rbrager Thread Starter

I can ping the router and usually other computers on my LAN. I cannot ping any net address?
    I have XP SP2 all around. How would I know? The adapter was abuilt in and XP insisted that I use WZC. I had to go to services and change the startup to automatic.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When my wireless devices are working I like to keep hands off; but when I'm having trouble that seems to be a perfect time to look for a driver (and utility) update. Most times it's best to get any updates from your laptop manufacturer's web site. I suggest you go looking for a new driver.

Two other things to try--you choose the order you want.

Since you have been using WZC, try using the adapter's utility.

Look in your router's WAN (Internet) section for whatever DNS server(s) it was assigned by your ISP. Then in this problem PC's wireless connection properties leave it on 'obtain IP auto' but specify the DNS server(s) that the router is using.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Reset the router to factory defaults and start over.

11. rbrager

rbrager Thread Starter

I doubt that I shall ever get an update from Westing House Digital for my Notebook. Microsoft for sure.

I cannot ping anything. The D-LINK Router did not come with any software other than built-in setup script. When I plug in the E-net cable everything works perfectly. when I use the the wireless adapter built-in the PC and the router do not talk. But the machines automatically connect but the router does not assign an IP address or DNS IP's.
    I tried assigning addresses in the PC but that looks good but it doesn't work.

I have a bat file that pings "God and all his children" and nothing works. On my tower of power the same script gets returns to everything they are both supposed to to be on the same LAN.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice