Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

wireless capability Ubuntu

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
I have tried almost everyone with no reply so I can only hope that someone takes pity on this extremely challenged senior. New PC L675, new OS Win 7 premium, and believe it or not first time wireless and I started way back when.
Wireless works effortlessly in win 7, partitioned and loaded Ubuntu 10.4. Dual boot works and seemingly
wireless connected at Ubuntu boot, but will NOT sustain online capability any longer then opening Firefox.
Please advise and thanks

#3 ·
Each Linux release seems to be better than the previous with Wi-Fi issues--more adapter drivers included and easier to connect. So, certainly agree with trying 10.10.

What is the brand and model of the wireless adapter?

What do you mean by "seemingly wireless connected at Ubuntu boot"? You get a popup saying it's connected? Open a Terminal window and type

ifconfig

to see if you get a good IP address assigned.

#4 ·
Thank you both for your reply. I tried Ubuntu Forum who in past was helpful and I learned a great deal, however for what ever reason got no replies on this present concern.
Allow me to elaborate on my term (bad choice) "seemingly" connected. When I booted to Ubuntu wirelessly
I received the wireless notification that I was connected, however the online capability lasted no longer then my opening Firefox and being informed not connected.
So I took it upon myself to cable to router to attempt upgrade to 10.10. I went through the entire process
and was gratified that I was indeed upgrading. However on reboot (faced with additional challenges) Something I did or did not do I am sure.
On my boot choices in Ubuntu I have both recovery in 2.6.35.24 and 27
Tried them both and am still not connected wirelessly and sorry for my vagueness.
Be advised in my old HP under XP I moved around pretty effortlessly with my extended partition and various distros. But obviously no going back and must start over with this win 7 and Toshiba L675.
Thanks again and I will be around as long as I can surrmount my challenges.

#5 ·
On my boot choices in Ubuntu I have both recovery in 2.6.35.24 and 27
Those are choices for booting with two different (older) kernels in case you can't boot into the normal installation. If you can still boot normally, just ignore the recovery choices, as I have done since beginning with Ubuntu 8.04. If you can't boot normally, then somebody else will need to help, as I have no idea what to do. Twice I have used the 'update to new version' option; once it worked great and once it messed up, so I just installed the new version from scratch. (Not too adventurous.)

My experience with Ubuntu Wi-Fi is that either I get a connection and it is fine or else I don't get connected in the first place. So, I don't have experience with losing the connection, as is happening with you.

Suggest that you do the following both after initial boot and after trying Firefox and getting the 'not connected' and see if the output is revealing anything interesting.

Applications - Accessories - Terminal - in the terminal type iwconfig and then ifconfig. See my attachment. In this case I don't have wireless so iwconfig told me the obvious; ifconfig showed that I had a good IP address (via ethernet) so I must have some communication with my router.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.