1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Card Cause of Black Screen and BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by CoffeeBeing, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoffeeBeing

CoffeeBeing Thread Starter

Hi there. This Dell Vostro is 2 years old, it has Windows 7 installed.

When the internal wireless card is turned on, it connects alright for about 5 minutes and then the computer will BSOD or Black Screen then restart. Ethernet works fine.

It has a strange behavior history.

Before reformat, I ran Malwarebytes which detected malware in Adobe CS5, after clearing that up it stopped BSODing for a day of constant use.

Then the wireless card stopped working at all. Windows could not even detect it for a few days. After the Windows reformat and reinstall it started working for half a day. Had the latest Dell driver installed for it.

Today it BSOD's and Black screens after a few minutes. We have to turn off the radio toggle to keep it from crashing Windows.

There was liquid spill about a month and a half ago. It was about an 1/4 cup of wine, attended to promptly. Within seconds of the spill it was shut down and put in front of a dehumidifier for a few days and turned upside down. It is possible it corrupted the card or card slot, but we have no other issues with the computer. I don't suspect this but it is worth mentioning.

Our next step is to purchase a new card, examine for corrosion on the slot or card, but.......I have to say I still suspect a software conflict.

What has already been done:

Reformated and reinstalled Win 7
    Uninstalled and reinstalled the card drivers
    Updated all service packs and win updates.

2. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

If you've re-installed Windows and attempted all drivers (including the latest), then I believe you have a hardware problem. Software problems are out the windows once you re-install the OS and re-install correct drivers. That completely eliminates software being a problem UNLESS the software itself is corrupt (bad drivers).

Try a different card.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you can access the card by removing a cover on the bottom remove and replace the card three or four times. Maybe it's just the contacts, and that procedure should clean them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice