1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Card - Failed ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harrington, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harrington

Harrington Thread Starter

Hello,

First Post to this forum. Trying to help out a "gal" friend of mine. Problem is... don't know Windows. Am a long time Mac guy and do understand that platform so hoping my knowledge is somewhat transferable. However, do want to learn Windows as my next Mac will be able to run Windows as well as the OSX experience. The new Intel Mac's look very cool and everything I am reading about the new Windows integration into the Mac world does sound mostly positive.

My question is regarding an Acer portable of fairly recent vintage. I will include all the specs at the end of the post. Just finished helping set-up a wireless router into her cable connection. The wireless router and connection works well except... that it doesn't recognize her wireless portable. ??

Know that the router is working 'cause she has another PC desktop plugged directly into it via ethernet. And my Mac portable is seen and works wireless with the router. Her Acer portable works when it is plugged directly into the router but isn't recognized wireless.

Read a couple of posts about checking Properties via the Device Manager. Had her check that and this is all it showed.

Realtek RTL8139/810C
    Family Fast Ethernet NIC
    Device Type: Network Adapters

Looks like it is only seeing the Ethernet card. She does have a wireless card installed in this portable as she was able, in the past, to use other friend's wireless routers. First I figured she might have had a driver corrupt or something. But now I'm thinking maybe her wireless card has failed since it doesn't appear to be even recognized. Dunno... Wouldn't think this is a Windows issue as it can't even see the wireless card. We did go into her controls and didn't see anything resembling a wireless driver or software access. Suggestions???

Thanks,
    Rod

Specifications of portable:
    Acer Aspire 3613 1.5/512 MB/60G/Combo
    512 MB Ram
    60 GB Hard Drive
    Windows XP Home

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would expect to see it in the device manager under network adators

Laptops have switches which switch the laptop wireless off, may be worth checking - i would still expect to see it in device manager
    the spec on the web for that model include wireless

if it has broken its probably cheaper to buy a new adapter

this software is also worth running - it uses the adapter and checks all wireless signals - see what that finds

Free software to check signal strength of wireless is netstumbler 0.4.0 available for download from http://www.stumbler.net/

3. Harrington

Harrington Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response.

You're right, of course, about the wireless switcher. We did check that and we made sure the cycling on/off left the wireless "ON". It displays a cool, Bold Text overview on the screen whether its on or off. Different than my Mac experience.

So the wireless switch is "on". Agreed, you would think the Device Manager would see the wireless card though.

I have used the Mac version of Stumbler. Appropriately named MacStumbler (much how I am feeling working with Windows... a MacStumbler)

Will download and test on her machine. However, getting a great wireless connection on my Mac so would assume everything is being broadcast properly. So Stumbler would probably just confirm that.

If we need to get an adapter what would you suggest as replacement? How tough to install? Been into many a Mac portable, so replacement shouldn't be too difficult - only different. This portable is just a couple of months out of warranty - naturally.

Thanks for this...
    Rod

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!