1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless card outdated? bad internet speeds

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by sy2, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Hey all,

I logged into my router and it says that my connection is supposed to be Incoming: 3008kbps and outgoing 512kbps. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that translates to ~367 KB/s down and ~62KB/s up (just to put it in the familiar units of what FireFox gives me when I'm downloading). I got those conversions from here.

When I download, I've never seen my speeds exceed ~160KB/s, and a lot of times they'll hove around 110-130KB/s. I use SBC for my internet the router is a 2wire 1000HW. I have a dell Latitude D610 (specs) but I don't know much about all of the wireless protocols and whatnot to know if this is a problem with my wireless card, the router, or something else.

Anyone have any ideas for me? Is my network just slow? Can my router only handle ~160KB/s down, or is my wireless card throttling it? Am I just doing the conversion wrong, and 160KB/s is all I'm supposed to get? This has been bothering me for quite some time now so if anyone can shed some light on it for me that'd be great!

EDIT: When I view my computer's details from the router page, it says I'm connected on Wireless 802.11b. Is "b" the problem? Does it need to be g or n or whatever the heck the newest one is to get higher speeds?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The "b" speed is typically ~5,000 kbps each way, or ~ 625 kB/s but this will degrade unless you have perfect signal over your local wireless network.

A "g" card would be no better is the signal level was less than optimum.

You may be making assumptions on all internet servers being able to match your own connect speed as measured by the router. That is seldom the case, many times the bottleneck is out in the internet or on the teleco backbone to the internet gateway, nothing that you can do in those cases.

Your connect speed is the speed between you and the DSLAM (assuming DSL) in the teleco exchange, not the real world data throughput ability of the end-to-end path.

3. Molucky

Molucky

4. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info kiwi and Molucky.

kiwi: I've thought about that, and I'm sure that a lot of congestion is out in the wild, but I've never seen a speed fast than 160kB/s on my home network. Is there a reliable website speed test you could recommend, or maybe a server that has a test file I can start downloading that you know should make use of all of my bandwidth?

Molucky: Thanks for that post, it's very helpful. I'm on a laptop w/no USB devices and it's virus-free. I've got some programs running in the background, but I don't think they're using bandwidth, at least not enough to cut the speeds from where they are where I think they should be. I don't know how to ping my router.

These are the netstat results:
    TCP D4BHNWB1:2202 localhost:2203 established
    TCP D4BHNWB1:2203 localhost:2202 established
    TCP D4BHNWB1:2205 localhost:2206 established
    TCP D4BHNWB1:2206 localhost:2205 established

D4BHNWB1 is my computer name (it's a work computer).

5. Augie65

Augie65

Go to this speed test site and you will get your download speed and upload speed and you can see if it is similar to what your ISP says you should get. Wait for it to load and select the gold pyramid.
    Speedtest.net

6. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Great, thanks Augie!

I'm at work now but will test it from my home connection this afternoon/evening and post the results. Thanks for the help, it's appreciated :)

7. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Alright, sorry for not getting back here sooner. I was in Phoenix, AR for a trade show for the last week.

I went to speedtest.net and these were the results:
    Download: 1307 kbps
    Upload: 430 kbps

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536892

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice