1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless card says it's connected to my wireless network, but I cannot ping router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DocShock, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DocShock

DocShock Thread Starter

I have been having issues with my the Linksys Wireless card I installed in my Desktop computer for some time now. For some reason the connection just drops, but it still says I am connected. I leave a dos window open to watch as it happens by pinging the router. All of the sudden it will say "request timed out", but the icon shows that it's still connected to the wireless network.

I have tried just about everything to overcome this but nothing seems to work. Rebooting the router will allow it to work for a few minutes and then it times out again. Sometimes it will continue timing out, sometimes it will reconnect and sometimes it will says limited or no connection. Sometimes hitting repair will do the same thing...make it work for a few moments and they down again.

I have 4 other devices that connect to that router wirelessly and they have no issues at all, so I'm not prepared to blame the router. I noticed that my desktop's event view shows this entry frequently:

“The system detected that network adapter” Linksys...PCI Adapter – “Packet Scheduler Miniport was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter”.

Would seeing this event frequently not indicate that the card was dropping often and coming back up?

I'm pretty much ready to run a 50' ethernet cable to the computer, but I thought I'd check with you guys first before I completely give up on the wireless card.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, it sure does indicate the card is disconnecting and connecting.

If you're running the Linksys wireless client, you must disable WZC (Wireless Zero Configuration) in Windows Services. Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Select properties and set it to Disable. You can also Stop it there and see if that fixes the issue.

3. DocShock

DocShock Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I did stop the WZC previously and that didn't work. There is an icon for a Linksys wireless client in my "All Programs" menu, but I never use it and I believe that when I double-clicked it on before nothing happened. Is it possible that the client won't even open while the WZC is running? Could that be the problem?

4. JohnWill

OK, that was a shot in the dark, but it happens quite frequently.

Did you try changing the channel on the router? Perhaps something is close to your machine that is interfering with the signal. How about downloading the latest drivers for the card?

5. DocShock

DocShock Thread Starter

Yep tried that last night. Even took the card out and installed it in a different PCI slot. I did a lot of research on this and it's quite common...but I haven't found any definative fixes.

I don't believe there's anything close by that is interfering with it. I'll probably just go with a running cable. But I think I will see if I can get the Linksys client working first...thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it.

6. JohnWill

FWIW, all my machines here are hard wired except for laptops. :)

7. DocShock

DocShock Thread Starter

Yeah, wireless seems to be especially spotty when it comes to desktops. My laptop, PS3, Wii, PSP they never have any issues with the wireless, but the damn desktop computer is always freaking out. Time to drill some holes and run some good 'ol cable.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice