1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless card ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ceebee, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ceebee

ceebee Thread Starter

Please bear with me, as this is the" stupid question".
    The card ? in my laptop, does not have a little green light anymore. Had work done on the laptop, tech told me to take the card out. Got laptop back, let it charge up again, put the card in, but can not connect to Internet. Have router on desktop pc (that is a whole other problem), the laptop connected fine in the past, but know a green light was present. Do I have to reset something?
    Help anyone?
    TIA
    ceebee

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what make/model of card - and what work did you have done on the laptop. you may need to reinstall the drivers for the card

3. ceebee

ceebee Thread Starter

etaf, thank you for your reply. Had new power jack installed. Had trouble with DSL service yesterday, could not connect, found out SBC service was down in the whole state. Before finding that out, took the laptop downstairs, to connect modem directly, of course that didn't work due to above, but the green light came on. Can connect to the internet, when there is service and my router works.
    After reading through many of the threads, find that many people are having problems with routers, (many different brands) which is my main problem. I have a Uniden router and card. If I leave either of my computers for any length of time, DSL shuts down. It is not the modem. I unplug power to the router, wait a few seconds, power up again, then I am able to connect.
    A pain in the neck having to do this, but worse yet, if am upstairs with laptop, have to come down and do the router bit. On the laptop, I get a run time error 91. OS is Win XP, laptop,Win ME, desktop.
    ceebee

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i know in uk some adsl service if they monitored no activity for 2 hours they disconnected, this was a raised as an issue in a number of consumer programs/publications as they advertised as always on - which they where not. are you sure your isp is not just switching you off after idle time...

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    just another thought I have a dsl604+ and that keep logging off 11 times oneday !!!! even when being used - and found that i needed to upgrade the firmeware in router NOTE only do this when connected with a cable NOT wireless. and now it runs minimum length of time has been a couple of weeks usually about a month without resetting.

also there may be a timeout setting in the device- I cant find mine but i know when i was onto support they asked ne to check this setting

6. ceebee

ceebee Thread Starter

etaf,

Good thought about the idle bit, but there are times when it does stay connected all night, like last night. I did speak too soon though. I can not get my email on the laptop. I am connected, but click mail and it does nothing. If I try the SBC Yahoo page, I can get mail there, but for some reason, only a few of my emails go to the inbox, the bulk box is loaded junk. I do scan through when time allows, as I have found good mail there too. How this happens, I do not know. Guess I have to get someone in here, to check things out. It will cost me some type of dinner, but that is cheap. Also son-in-law, had a guy he works with come in, networked everything in the house, many pcs to printer etc. He charges $30. and hour, was out in less than that.
    Thank you,
    ceebee

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice