Wireless channel sniffer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JBotAlan

Hi all

I dug around online because I wanted to find a wireless network sniffer, and I was disappointed to find that none of the Windows sniffers support the Broadcom chipset (Linksys WPC54GSv1). I saw some that run under Linux, though. So I have a few questions:

1) Is there a good sniffer for Windows that supports my card?
2) If not, is there an easy way of running the Linux sniffers under Win2k, hopefully some sort of emulator...?
3) How do you write a program to interface to a CardBus card? How do you access the interrupts, registers, etc? Hopefully I don't need to use the driver development kit because I don't have an MSDN subscription...

I really would like an answer to #3 because I'm working on becoming a little less of a script-kiddy...:eek:

Thanks,
JBot

Are you trying to run a network detector (eg., Netstumbler/Kismet), or a packet monitor like Ethereal?

JBotAlan

Oops...I think I mixed two things together. What I'd actually like to do ultimately is to write a server program for the Nintendo DS that would be connected to wirelessly. There is a program out to do this, but it doesn't support my chipset. I'd like to take a whack at the NinDS wireless specs, and to do this I'd need to sniff the wireless channel while two of them are connected. So..

a: is there a sniffer to monitor wireless activity (not necessarily TCP/IP since the DS doesn't have it fully implemented)?
b: how do I write a program to directly talk to my wireless card? I don't mean through all of Windows' layers, I want to talk to the DS directly.

I realize this is all too targeted so probably nobody has a clue. Just seeing if you do.

Thanks for your quick response
JBot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online