1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless computers won't talk 2 each other

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Shazzer, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shazzer

Shazzer Thread Starter

I have two computers both with Belkin 54g wireless network cards, one using WinXP and one Win98SE. Both the PCI cards are installed ok (although I did have to download a driver upgrade from Belkin for the Win98 one to work, thanks to HumanShame). In the system tray, I can see the TV-shaped icon with a red center on both PCs. If I double-click on this I get the utility to set up all the detail, but sadly it lists no available networks so I can't do anything else.

I thought I could connect two PCs with wireless network cards on an ad-hoc basis like this. The two PCs are in two rooms, one above the other, so are not too far apart.

What do I do next?

2. blin

blin

3. Shazzer

Shazzer Thread Starter

OK, spent some time wandering round recommended websites, loads of useful info, some of it over my head, but afraid I'm still no nearer to getting them them to talk to each other. Just in case, I've made sure my workgroup names are the same, that I have Netbui enabled, and that I turn my firewall off straight after a reboot. Further info in case it helps: I do have an unopened wireless gateway / router which I am about to send back because apparently it won't work with a USB modem which is what I have for my ADSL internet connection, and because I discovered I should be able to make things work for internet and file sharing with two network cards and internet connection sharing.

Ipconfig returns the following for the Win98 SE PC:
    Physical address 00-30-BD-98-E0-67
    DHCP enabled Yes
    IP address 169.254.70.10
    DHCP Server 255.255.255.255 etc etc

Ipconfig returns the following for the WinXP Prof PC:
    Media state - media disconnected
    Physical address - 00-30-BD-98-E0-7B
    There is no further info on IP addresses or anything. If I look in TCP/IP settings, it says it gets IP addresses automatically, if that's relevant.

Where do I go from here?

4. doggard

doggard

When your wireless software does a search it should show the network name [SSID] of any available systems within its range.
    Usually you see a blinking light on the device to signify its searching and a solid light when it connects.
    Have you tried disabling WEP on both devices and no password?
    Are you able to temporarily move the devices into the same room to check the connection?

5. Shazzer

Shazzer Thread Starter

I'm afraid it doesn't find any available networks. There is a 'Site Monitor' tab on the utility that came with the network card, and that will list the SSID, channel, signal strength etc of all available networks. I can see this list, but there are no available networks, so nothing appears in the list.

When you say I should see a blinking light, so you mean on the device itself or in the systray icon? The systray icon stays solid red inside the tv-shaped outline. The wireless card itself does not have any LED lights on it, although the manual says that it should.

I can't enable or disable WEP or passwords until after I choose an available network from the list of available networks, and there are none listed.

With some effort, I could move the PCs into the same room. Are you thinking they are too far apart? The actual distance can only be 10-12ft, though with a ceiling in-between, and a (non-ratified) 802.11g should surely stretch further than that?

6. doggard

doggard

I have a set of Actiontec USB wireless devices that either fail to communicate with each other or fail to keep a connection more than a minuite or two with my wireless router and ended up giving up on them altogether so I know the pain :(
    In the end I purchased a couple of neat Netgear USB devices [MA111] and they have a similar piece of software installed in the system tray,red no connection green good connection found.
    So I suggst you move them closer and see if the scanning software finds the SSID at a closer range.
    Items that can interfere are Microwaves,burglar alarms,Blue tooth devices,wireless telephones and just about anything that sends out a signal.
    Have you tried if possible changing channel on the devices ?

BTW if its states to disable windows control of wireless systems have you done so in the network properties?

7. Shazzer

Shazzer Thread Starter

OK, thanks. It's so annoying to pay money for stuff that doesn't work as it should! And Belkin haven't replied to my email for support from a week ago, and the only phone number is international.

OK, rant over. I'll try moving them closer together if I must. I'd already moved the wireless phone from the room. There is a burglar alarm nearby but it's hard-wired so I assume that's not an issue. Nothing else nearby.

I can't change the channel because you can't do that until you've selected an available network....

It does say to disable windows control of wireless networking, and I've done that. I don't suppose there's any mileage in letting Windows have a go at this point?

Thanks for trying. Anyone got any other ideas before I start lugging this monster upstairs???

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/152178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice