1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless confusion!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lightwork, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lightwork

Lightwork Thread Starter

I have a Win 98 SE desktop and a Win XP Pro laptop that I am trying to network. I understood that if both machines had wireless cards, they would be able to connect, via my DSL modem and wireless D-Link, Dl-624 router. I am completely confused about "access points," infrastructure vs. ad hoc, etc. I think it's set up properly but I'd like someone who knows what they're doing to tell me so!

The Linksys pci adapter, Wireless G, installed on the Win 98 desktop pc, appears to recognize (or create ?) a network called "lynksys." The software includes a viewer which shows all "infrastructure" wireless networks. A second network shows called "default," which I guess would be the network card on the Win XP laptop, the Orinoco Mini Pci adapter (?)

I can change from one wireless network to the other, from "linksys" to "default" via software on the Win98 pc Linksys adapter software. Is the router itself the "access point?" If I enable one card over the other, which is what I guess I'm doing In the Wireless connection properties on the XP when I choose one of the SSIDs over the other -- either "linksys" or "default" ? -- I can either go on the internet *or* connect to my internal network, see the workgroup, etc. etc.

The "default" connection / wireless network on the laptop gets me to my local network -- I can connect to the desktop from the laptop and mess with files, etc. -- but can't get on the internet. The "linksys" connection/ wireless network takes me to the Internet, but no local network access. This is a good thing, EXCEPT -- on the laptop, Win XP shows me TWO network groups -- the one I created, and a default "mshome" group that probably belongs to my neighbor.

So I guess I have two questions -- am I set up correctly, and what further configuring do I need to do? I have the WinXp firewall activated and Zone Alarm on the Win 98 desktop. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
    :confused:

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Ok, the D-Link wireless router is the access point, yes. It's the one creating the "default" SSID, aka, network name as evidenced by the fact that you can connect to the internet when connecting to that network. It is an "infrastructure" type connection.

An AD-HOC type network is when the 98 machine and the XP laptop connect to each other directly without utilizing the access point (D-Link wireless router). This may be what you're connecting to when you "see" your local network.

To get everything right, you'll need to change the SSID on the XP machine to connect to the infrastructure type wireless network currently named "default". And make sure the 98 box is also connected to that network. Once that is done, both machines should be able to talk to the other, and browse the internet at the same time.

The firewall/zone alarm configurations may need to be adjusted depending on how you have them currently configured. If you have problems, I'd first try disabling that software to make sure those aren't causing the problems. Don't leave them disabled for long while actively connected to the internet though. (you might want to disconnect from the internet while you get all the wireless guys talking together on the correct wireless network, then add the internet connection into the mix...)

Good luck,

-Scott

3. Lightwork

Lightwork Thread Starter

Thank you. When you say I need to "make sure the 98 box is also connected to that network," I think there are two issues here. On the Win XP directory tree, "Microsoft Nework" part of the network, I have to figure out how to get the 98 desktop to show up. I have the Win 98 desktop set in the same workgroup but it shows as "unknown" in the "local internet" view of the network on the Win XP machine.

I do see that by setting the "advanced" setting on each of the networks (default and lynksys) to "infrastructure networks only," vs. "any available" cuts out the mysterious added workgroup (my neighbor).

I just want to be clear that, whichever machine I'm working on, it will still be a matter of switching between connections (default or linksys/internet ? ) depending on whether I want to connect to the web or to connect to my other machine -- right?

4. 5mi11er

5mi11er

No, once things are setup, you should be able to connect to the other machine and surf the web at the same time.

Any difficulties after both boxes are connected to the same wireless network, "default", should be issues that keep 98 and XP from talking together on a wired network also.

I know from experience that Win2k domains don't like to play well with 95/98 workgroups, so I assume similar issues may surround XP and 98.

-Scott

5. Lightwork

Lightwork Thread Starter

Your last comment is where I've ended up, I guess. At the moment, the Win XP laptop is seeing two wireless networks, a "default" network and a "linksys" network, which is the router signal. The Win 98 desktop sees only one network, the "linksys," but doesn't recognize the identically-named workgroup that I have the XP in. Nor will the Win 98 machine connect to the internet, although the wireless card software shows a good strong connection.

The last part is apparently a password issue with the ISP (Verizon) which involves multiple requests to logon. Odd, since the XP laptop has no problem logging on. The ISP password doesn't want to "fix" in the router configuration maybe? And I configured the router settings with the Win 98 machine. So I don't know what to do except keep looking for the Microsoft networking glitch between the two OS's, and then try to find out why I can't get online with the Win 98 machine.

6. 5mi11er

5mi11er

If 98 can't access the internet, then I don't believe you have that box hooked up to the linksys wireless network. Get that 98 box connected correctly to the linksys wireless network, and he should also be able to browse the internet, along with the XP box.

Until both are able to browse the internet, the wireless configs aren't correct.

Once that is done, then see if the 98/XP boxes can talk to one another.

-Scott

7. tronh

tronh

The DSL modem should be set up with the user account info from your ISP, unless they require you to use their software for that purpose. So, *typically*, you should not have to configure any ISP info on your computers -- they should just connect to the network, get addresses from DHCP on the router, and the default gateway should be the D-Link wireless router.

Since your wireless router is a D-Link, you should NOT be seeing a wireless network called "Linksys" -- that is one of your PCs that is set up in "ad hoc" or "both infrastructure and ad hoc" mode. Nothing should be set up in ad hoc mode -- everything needs to be infrastructure only. "Default" is probably your D-Link. You can go into it and assign whatever SSID you need to make it more easily identifiable -- like "Lightwork's DLink".

Once both your PCs connect to the DLink, and everything is in infra mode, it should be the same as having those 2 PCs plugged into a hub. You should then be able to ping from any unit to anoter (pc to pc, router to pc, pc to router). Then you just have to make sure they are in the same workgroup and deal with security issues to access shared resources. And XP is definitely more security-sensitive then 9x/me.

8. byohazard2k2

byohazard2k2

Hello I need help. I have been trying to get wireless internet through the use of a lynksys wireless access point. I have an HP laptop using windows XP. I setup the access point using the disk and once I save the configuration, the computer indicates that there is a connection, however I cannot access the internet. The Lynksys support line is not much help and frankly they are quite rude. I am not a computer buff, so I claim some ignorance. If someone could walk me through the process or if someone has had a similar experience and can tell me where I'm getting hung up I would greatly appreciate it.

9. tronh

tronh

byohazard, please start a new thread for your issue

10. byohazard2k2

byohazard2k2

Sorry, told you I was ignorant

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice