1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless connected, no internet, Windows XP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Davidicus, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Davidicus

Davidicus Thread Starter

I'm having issues on my AT&T uverse wifi.
    My netbook (XP) does no want to connect.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, v.5938, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 28 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1011 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family, 224 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 152617 MB, Free - 133679 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer,
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

I literally found the exact issue on a microsoft forum, with a hotfix, but the hotfix does nothing for it. Even with identical symptoms.

I have searched many things and found similar problems.
    I've tried some cmd prompts, I've tried winsockfix. I've tried auto detect for LAN and configuring wireless.
    Also disabling them.
    Those do not seem to work. I really am stumped as to why it does not want to connect.

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Try taking the ethernet cord that is plugged into the router and plug it into your computer and see if you can get internet directly instead of wirelessly.

3. Davidicus

Davidicus Thread Starter

We have wired connections to the desktop and the Wifi is working on my tablets. Phones. And laptop (win7).
    I had the issue with Vista, which was solved when updated to 7.
    Now XP is having the same issues. How does wiring the connection solve anything? I'm not arguing, I'm genuinely curious what might change. I will be trying the suggestion but I have a feeling the ethernet will obviously work and yet the Wifi will remain unchanged on the issue.

4. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    It does not solve your problem. It's a troubleshooting technique to narrow down what the problem actually is. If I know the problem is only when you connect wirelessly, then the problem is with the wireless card. If you can't get internet with either wired or wirelessly, then there is no point in troubleshooting the wireless card because that isn't the problem since the problem occurs even when you are hard wired into the router.

5. Davidicus

Davidicus Thread Starter

The wired connection worked. As suspected.
    Now, the previous owner had it working wirelessly. She had a lot of trouble as I recall to make it work. She recommended calling at&t. Which I did, but was only told that I need to contact the hardware vendor. After half an hour of basic troubleshooting failure.

I wonder if there might be any other things to try before assuming its just the wireless card...?

6. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I would make sure you have the latest driver for your wireless network card. After you have ensured you have the latest driver or if you install the latest driver and it still doesn't work, then try removing the wireless profile and then reconnecting to the wireless network and see if that helped.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If those steps don't get you working ...

What wireless utility are you using? And, are you sure no other one is running?

Uninstall AVG and run the AVG Remover. You can reinstall it if desired after testing.

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

8. Davidicus

Davidicus Thread Starter

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\LISA SHEARER>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Nancee
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : att.net

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : att.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Ad
    apter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-4E-54-29-D8
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.239
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, February 09, 2013 4:36:21
    PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:36:21 PM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast E
    thernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-8B-20-AD-1A

C:\Documents and Settings\LISA SHEARER>

[​IMG]

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The following was put together mostly by etaf with a little help from me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Atheros Wireless Adapter - AR5007EG & AR5007
    Over the last three or so years we have been seeing a lot of problems with the above adapters, mainly concerning WPA and WPA2 encryption and mainly on windows Vista.
    We have seen just a couple of issues on other windows operating system, windows XP and windows 7.

Windows XP:- A driver update has resolved the issue
    Windows 7 :- No conclusive results for a fix

The wireless adapter gets an IP configuration, and shows as connected, but communication is non-existent or sporadic.

Log into the Router and disable the wireless security and see if you are now able to connect to the internet and surf OK.
    Please post back a reply here, and let us know if that works or does not work.
    If you post back the make and exact model of the router - we can advise how to disable the wireless security

Here are a number of possible solutions

--- 1) In Device Manager right click on the wireless adapter and "update driver."

--- 2) Download and install the latest wireless driver from your laptop manufacturer's web site support section,

If you post a reply here with the Make and EXACT model of your PC, along with the windows version you are running. we will see if we can find a link to the driver and will post a reply with the link here.

--- 3) On one occasion re-setting the router back to factory default and re-configuring the router settings has resolved the issue

--- 4) The majority of members, have now used the drivers from the atheros driver site, which has resolved the issue.
    - see below for direct links for windows vista and the link for all Atheros adapters and supported operating systems

AR5007
    Vista 32 / 64 Bit
    Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007 and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
    You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

AR5007EG
    Vista 32 / 64 Bit
    Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007EG and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
    You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

Drivers for the other windows operating system
    http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php
    You need to look down the page for your particular adapter model and then look across the columns to find your windows version.
    Now click on the blue tick mark in the column under your windows version.
    This will open another page for that particular adapter and that windows version.

Now click on the download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

Assuming that after all the above the wireless still does not connect to the internet, all I can suggest is to use wireless security of WEP or to get an external USB wireless card.

Please post a reply here , and keep us informed of the situation and how you finally resolved the issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. Davidicus

Davidicus Thread Starter

I've updated the drivers to no avail.

The model is Acer aspire one. I just don't know what else to tell you, except that it's XP.
    There's more info at first post.

11. Davidicus

Davidicus Thread Starter

Alright guys, this is what I have so far. I've manually done the IP address. And it still doesn't work.
    I've heard of MAC filtering, and I don't understand it but I wonder if there is something I can learn about it from anyone?

This is really just kicking me in the head with how much I don't understand.

[​IMG]

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That picture will kick us all in the head. I was about ready to "yell" at you that you had forgotten to assign the Default Gateway (see the ipconfig /all) until I looked at the wireless status on the right--where it shows the correct Default Gateway. ???

See if the Default Gateway makes an appearance in the ipconfig /all after ...

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    MAC filtering on a router is a way to allow or block certain adapters, or sometimes to only allow internet access at certain times and all kinds of fun like that. The MAC Address in the ipconfig /all is called the Physical Address--00-23-4E-54-29-D8 for your wireless.

14. Davidicus

Davidicus Thread Starter

I entered the commands and rebooted. The first command told me successfully did the command.
    The second one said nothing but skipped down two lines.

Here is an ipconfig/all of it now.

[​IMG]

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're also back to using a dynamic connection, and appear to have a good IP configuration.

Assuming you've taken care of AVG I think it has to be the AR5007EG issues.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice