1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless connecting heck

Discussion in 'Networking' started by osephine46, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. osephine46

osephine46 Thread Starter

I have qwest dsl. I want to wirelessly connect my ibm compatible pc with my daughter's dell downstairs.
    the modem on the master computer is an actiontech. I have a D-link usb adapter for the second computer that I thought would solve my problem. Is this going to work or do I need something else? We used to have a connection when I had the d-link router connected to the actiontech modem, but the router somehow chaged my ip address so then i was suddenly not getting anything so I uninstalled the router so know only my computer works.
    I have gone into my computer and picked the wan password and all that, but when going into the second, i can't get anything but her computer trying to call for connection and that's not what I need.
    I am in wireless heck and will not have my compter to myself until I get this figured out.
    Can anyone help me?

2. invalidusername

invalidusername

If the wireless router is not connected to the dsl modem, then the computers won't be able to talk to each other.

You need to put things back the way they were. Dsl modem connected to the router, and then the main computer connected to the router. You need to make sure DHCP in the router in turned on.

Do the follwoing on the main computer with modem and router in line. If you can not post the result thru router, post by going directly thru your modem. However, make sure to run the command with the router in line:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

{credit johnw}

3. osephine46

it's taken me awhile to get to this-obviously, but the info from the start,run,cmd is below

HOST NAME FRED
    NODE TYPE UNKNOWN
    IP ROUTING ENABLED NO
    WNS PROXY ENABLED YES

Connection-specific DNS Suffix
    Description Actiontec Gateway
    Physical Address 00-0f3b-sa99-d1
    dhcp enabled No
    IP Address 192.168.0.1
    subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers 205.171.3.65

my directions for the router want me to go to set up with dlink, this is where I got into trouble last time and it managed to change my ip address. Is it necessary to go to this or is the setup for the modem all I need?

4. osephine46

and how do I turn the dhcp enabled to yes?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589739

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice