1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless connection between laptop w/o base station

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hydraconsole, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hydraconsole

hydraconsole Thread Starter

hi
    i have two laptops on winxp sp2 and a dsl modem. I don't have a wireless router. One of the laptops uses ethernet to connect to the dsl modem. the laptops are installed with a built-in wireless card, an Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG. driver version is 9.0.3.9

If one of the laptops is connected using ethernet to the dsl modem, can i share that connection with the other laptop using a wireless connection?

thanks,

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. nick0219

nick0219

hey john i like to learn a little about this issue...is he trying to set up his laptop as a wireless router. because i may want to do that too

4. hydraconsole

thanks for the reply but the link doesn't work

5. nick0219

nick0219

hyrda is this what you are trying to do - set up laptop as a wireless router.??? please reply

6. hydraconsole

yeah, i guess that's it. I want to use my laptop as a wireless router. is this possible? the link john posted doesn't work on my browsers. (i guess this is another problem unless the link is broken)

7. hydraconsole

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'll come back, I've noticed several times lately they've been off-line. :(

9. nick0219

nick0219

hydra i am on the second step,
    2. The second step will be to install a wireless card in a second computer.

i have to buy a wireless card for my laptop, will keep you informed when i get it

10. hydraconsole

hurray both laptops are connected wireless and mine can surf the net.
    the next problem is i can't view other shared computers/folders in the My Network Places.
    Our office uses a modem-router which only has 1 port which is connected to an 8-port switch. all the ports are already in use. the other laptop is connected to that switch and can surf the net and browse other computers. I can connect wireless to the other laptop and surf the net but i can't see the other computers in the My network places

any ideas?
    thanks,

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice