1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless connection drops all the time?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by coldcore, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coldcore

coldcore Thread Starter

Ok so I am useing a desktop computer and have the router downstairs so I am useing a wireless usb to connect to the internet. My router is a Linksys E1000 and the wireless adapter is a Netgear WG111v2. The problem is Every few mins I drop connection for may 5-30 secs and then the internet is fine. During that time it does not say I only have local connection or anything like that it constantly says I have internet connection even when I dont. It is very noticable when i am playing an online game on my computer. I will get a few mins in and then it will drop kicking me out of the game and by the time I get kicked out my Internet is reconnected and I can join again. It is a very annoying problem. I set my channel to 1 as it seems to be the least used when I ran Xfire. What could be the other problems? Also I took my computer downstairs to test it out and hooked it right up to the router and I ran into no problems with my connection so it must have something to do with wireless

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Ok:
    Was this always a problem
    Wireless adapter driver update ?
    Update router firmware.
    Move laptop next to router.same problem ?
    You should have only one wireless manager running.Windows default or wireless adapter manager,but not both.

3. coldcore

coldcore Thread Starter

Im not sure if this has always been a problem but it has been for a few months now. I know it has nothing to do with the router since I have changed routers while this was going on and I still was getting connection drops. Like I said before I have a desktop not a laptop so i cant really test that unless i was to carry it downstairs and hook it back up. And finally how do I check that I only have one wireless manager running.

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

They probably would be listed in the services section.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:
    • COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
    • Computer Browser (computer browser will start when needed)
    • DHCP Client
    • DNS Client
    • Network Connections
    • Network Location Awareness
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • Server
    • TCP/IP Netbios helper
    • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
    • WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
    • Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic
    If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.
    Wifi test exe. Hint from Johnwill

Download and run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspecto from
    www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    on the problem machine. Post a screen shot of the main screen here.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button
    to upload it here.

Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

5. coldcore

coldcore Thread Starter

Ok thanks I went through the services and a few of them were set to manual not automatic but I set them to automatic...would that mean anything? also I will post a screenshot of xirrus (sorry called it xfire before lol)

6. coldcore

coldcore Thread Starter

Here is the screenshot

Attached Files:

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Tough wireless environment. :( I'd try channels 11, 10, 9, 8, but any improvement may be only marginal. I don't fault you for trying channel 1; my reasoning is that at least the channel 11 signals are weaker than the channel 1 and 6 ones.

I'd turn admin-guest off if possible.

8. coldcore

coldcore Thread Starter

ok well I set it to 10 to see if that works also I tried moving my router a little closer. It was not far away in the first place but now it is exactly one floor beneath me any other ideas?

9. coldcore

coldcore Thread Starter

Sorry I was gone for the week....still running into problems can anyone help me out? Also I may add is that when I play a certain game on my computer is when the connection being dropped is most noticable. While playing the game I will be kicked and when I minimize the game and open a web browser I will have no internet connection. I have tried opening the ports for the game thinking this may be the problem but to no sucess. Anyone have any other ideas?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/981989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice