1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless connection drops every few minutes

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nutnhuny, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

i am having a lot of issues with my wireless connection being dropped...we're talking every few minutes now...i am working with my service provider...but man...it is taking a long time...they've done all types of trouble shooting..changing channels on my router...lowering my security key...lastly...they were blaming my cordless phone..well that's been resolved as well...it's not the issue (we unplugged it) signal still dropped...
    nothing changed around here either...that would affect...as they suggested...ie to far from router.., router near other equipment..other computer being used (it just collects dust) .etc....r we missing something...the last thing they are trying is ..sending me a modem...they say i shouldn't be on a router cause i am "light speed" ... is this going to fix my issue you think.....? just seems weird that it was fine before (had it for almost two yrs, both router and laptop...issue only began about 2 months ago...first slowly...then more frequently...and now i can expect it every few minutes....sorry..just don't have faith in my service provider anymore...tech support really bites..seems they all contradict one another..and (no offense to anyone) but hardly speak any english ...and i have the worse time with accents....frustrating...dread calling there!!:eek:
    signal dropped in just the time i typed this letter...it will go from 54Mbps to 36 to 24 then poof...or...it will show that speed is fine..connection established...strenght excellent...but....it 's not connecting (anywhere...! :(
    so...if anyone has any suggestions while i patiently wait for this "modem to arrive....I'm open to suggestions :eek: better send this off before i get dropped

2. thehorace

thehorace

I personally think that the router could be at fault, seeing as you have tried various other things. Try the new modem and update us ;)

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Brand and model of wireless adapter? Operating system and service pack level if Windows? Brand and model of the router or modem/router combo?

What wireless utility are you using to manage the connection? And are you sure that no other one is running?

When you unplugged the 2.4Ghz cordless phone for a test did you mean that you unplugged the base station and removed the battery from the handset?

Do you detect any other wireless networks when you are having the problems?

Have you tried with an ethernet connection to the router? Have you tried this computer on another wireless network?

Have you tried another computer on your wireless network?

4. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

,,,,,i don't have any other "wireless" computer..but when my laptop is down..i am able to access internet on desktop

txs..for the interest...btw......

5. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

k as of last night, i have been using my neighbors signal (with her permission) and i have not been dropped once!!! she has an "unsecured" network...mine is "secured" could that be the cause....i'm pretty sure it wasn't always secured...i think that was done just recently...i'm sooo confused!!

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd be more inclined to believe it's wireless interference causing the issues. You didn't really answer Terry's questions posted previously.

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and model of the broadband modem.
    Make and model of the router.
    Connection type, wired or wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Make/model of your computer.
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Have you changed the channel on the router? I like channels 1, 6, 11 in the US to start. When you do a search for wireless networks, see which channels other networks are discovered on and try to avoid those channels.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The speed dropping from 54 to 36 to ..., etc., is indicative of needing to get the latest driver for the wireless adapter from your laptop manufacturer's web site or wireless interference. I suggest you make sure you have the correct driver.

Being able to use the weaker signal but having disconnects with yours is, as John stated, probably wireless interference. In addition to what John said, 2.4Ghz cordless phones can cause interference, and sometimes more interference on secured networks than unsecured ones. Changing channels sometimes helps for this also.

8. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

9. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

k i think i have the answer to that first question....broadband modem "conexant D110 MDC V.92 ...my conncection is referred to as "light speed".....it's just one step up from dial up.....as far as channels on the router...i know the tech (service provider) has changed it like 5 or 6 times now....he ended putting back on the original "11" the last one he tried being "1" wouldn't work at all.... hope that helps :confused:

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your Speedstream 6520 is a broadband modem/router combo (both functions in one box), so you did answer John. :) That other modem is your dial-up one.

What channel is your neighbor's? What are the channels of the other networks you detect?

With ch. 1 not working at all and 11 working with disconnects that almost screams (well, to me) 2.4Ghz cordless phone or another strong wireless network on a low numbered channel. If you have a 2.4Ghz unplug the base unit and remove the handset batteries or hide it far away from your router and computer.

Disable encryption on your router and see if your connection improves. And, if you haven't already, make sure you have the correct and latest driver for the adapter.

11. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

sorry Terry...i do not know how to tell what channel my neighbor's on!
    i will go check on updates for my wireless now and lastly, err...i don't know how to disable encryption on router....sorry... :( o and the phone issue...it's was disembled..but issue continues to persist!

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are using the Intel Proset utility (left side of attach.) select a network in the bottom window and click on 'Details.' The resulting window shows the Channel and other info. In the attachment TERRY001 is on Channel 1. Windows' WZC utility has similar abilities.

Attached Files:

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice