1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless connection drops/no connectivity

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kr1spy, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kr1spy

kr1spy Thread Starter

Hi,

I started some consulting work for a company that uses a wireless connection with 2 access points in their office (one on channel 6, the other on channel 11). They use a WPA-PSK key to secure the connection.

The problem is that with about 70% of the laptops that come preimaged from the parent company the following problem happens.
    You try to connect to the wireless, enter the password, the authentication passes, an IP address is assigned, it appears connected, about 5 seconds later the connection is dropped, the computer tries to reconnect, it reconnects, then it drops and stops connecting.

I have tried the following things:

• Disable all firewalls/antivirus
    • Reset the TCP/IP stack (using netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt )
    • Reinstalled the drivers of the card
    • Tried different software besides the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration (like the software for that driver)
    • Winsock repair
    The other two things I tried with some success is:

• Connecting to another wireless connection - worked but only for unsecure
    • Reformatted Computer (or Repaired Windows installation) - worked for 4 of the 5 computers I tried.
    Now the other 30% have a similar yet annoying issue. Everytime I connect to the wireless network I get a limited, no connectivity message. I tried the same kind of things I did above but nothing worked. I'm not sure what the problem is, with one computer i actually replaced the wireless card (only to get the issue that i was getting at the top). Reformatting worked once out of 3 times on this issue.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know (especially if there is a way to fix this with out reformatting).

Here are the kinds of computers that i've been working with if its important:
    Lenovo R61e
    Lenovo R61i

Lenovo 3000 C200
    • The lenovos all have either one of these cards:
    Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG
    Intel Pro/Wireless 2200bg

Dell Latitude D620 - Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Minicard

EDIT: All computers running Windows XP SP2 (so they do have the WPA patch)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Are you running the Intel client, or Windows WZC? Try the other client if so, see if that helps. Immediate disconnects usually indicate you have multiple wireless clients fighting for control of the connection.

3. kr1spy

kr1spy Thread Starter

I tried using the other client. Same results. I tried using the other client and disabling WZC, same results.

This problem wasnt so bad when there were only 20 people in the office and there were enough wired jacks to support it, but right now there are like 20 other roaming employees coming in and there aren't enough jacks to support them and they need wireless... and reformatting really isnt an option.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Consider adding a simple Ethernet switch or two to expand the wired connections. It's the "low pain" solution. :)

One thing to consider, if you have a bunch of people connecting to a single wireless access point, the access will be snail slow anyway!

5. kr1spy

kr1spy Thread Starter

I'm more or less the band-aid on a broken leg here. The only thing i can do is try to keep up and running with the current equipment. So purchasing is basically out of the picture.

The wireless is what it is, and there arent a whole lot of times when people are here for a meeting (usually they are at a neutral location).

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's extremely important for the 2200bg, and probably for the other Intel adapter you listed, to have the latest correct Intel driver for the PC manufacturer's web site. Plus, in my opinion, those adapters work better with Intel's Proset utility than with WZC.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/722467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice