1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless connection drops

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Dawie, Nov 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dawie

Dawie Thread Starter

We are three flatmates with our own laptop each, all connected wirelessly to the internet through a Netgear broadband modem / router. The three computers are not networked to each other (although my one flatmate has mentioned that he gets a warning message that my computer is trying to access his whenever I go online -- but that's a different question).

Lately we have all three had problems with Internet Explorer "crashing" -- as if dropping the connection to the internet. The actual connection remains active, but after idling for a while on a website and then clicking on a link to browse further, IE displays "cannot find page". The only solution then seems to be to close all open IE windows and relaunching. This is more of an annoyance than anything else.

Has anyone else come across this or does anyone have any ideas / advice?

Thanks in advance.

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

are all three on the internet at the same time? you only have so much bandwidth that you're sharing.

3. Dawie

Dawie Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply bearone2.

The connection drop happens very randomly -- sometime when we're all online (which is very seldomly) and sometimes when just one is online. Sometimes it will fail after a browser page has been idle for a while, other times it drops sooner.

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i use a router that's not part of the cable modem.

dsl or cable?

5. Dawie

Dawie Thread Starter

We're on DSL and use a Netgear broadband modem / router combo.

6. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i don't like combo devices.

7. csmattsg

csmattsg

Same annoying problem. Other than reboot, I have not found satisfactory fix. I have seen many posts, in many different forums concerning the browser error while server connection still open, still able to IM, send/receive mail, other web apps okay etc, but don't see solution(s) posted. The common denominators seem to be Internet Explorer browser usually running in XP with a router (I have DLink) to cable/DSL modem. I am probably over simplfying and uses incorrect terminology but the problem as I understand it is that when IE wakes up from idle, the signal it is getting from the router is not the same as when it started idling and it can't reconcile the difference. There has to be some sort of command or setting to reset the browser/router communication capability without having to reboot the PC.

Anyway, if I have a straight connection from the cable modem, the PC can be in sleep mode the whole weekend and IE connects with no problem on Monday morning. With the router, it won't go more than two hours of inactivity without losing the IE connection, but no problem connecting to the mail server and send/receive while the IE is down.

If anyone can explain this in more technical terms and can point me in the direction to keep IE open without having to reboot, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

PS - I'm going to see what happens to Mozilla after a long idle...

8. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i suspect a router problem.
    a problem in part of the combo affects all of it.

you seem to put a lot of value in not using the computer over the weekend but have it wakeup and work properly with ie on monday.

perhaps your isp senses inactivity in the browser but dsl/cable is always on.

i turn my computers on in the am and turn them off at nite and at any given time can refresh, go to another web page at any time.
    at times i leave mid-morning and don't come back until late afternoon, power management is activated at 2 min so i usually see a blank screen but moving the mouse, hitting a key brings it back.

are you using power management, sleep, hibernate?

9. csmattsg

csmattsg

Set to power management 20 minutes - here's another twist. I've a Gateway 800 I'm tweaking another with. I put Win2K on it, so IE version is 5.00 and you guessed it, no dropped connection. I've rebooted XP twice (IE ver 6.02) in the last 24 hrs, while this PC has had no problem. That doesn't mean I've totally eliminated the router as an issue, but wouldn't you say it's about 99% an XP/IE tweak.Anyway, now it's got me on a mission. I'll try some more experimenting and researching, nothing beats experience...

PS - Firefox 1.0 had same issue on XP machine

10. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

xp/ie6 are good together.

i had problems with 98se/ie6 and had to reinstall se and went back to it's basic ie5.0.

remember, this is all magic and mirrors.

11. jaguar88

jaguar88

Stop windows wireless service after connecting to the network

Add two shortcuts to the start menu

"start WZC" c:\windows\system32\net.exe start wzcsvc

"stop WZC" c:\windows\system32\net.exe stop wzcsvs

only restart the service if you lose the connection. I have not tried it myself but I intend to tonight.

12. Heatsink

Heatsink

I have *almost* the same problem, but it doesn't involve IE.

Using XP Home and a Linksys wireless router with a D-Link Air Plus wireless NIC. Out of three computers in the house, this is the only one that does this.

Every 4-5 mins or so, the wireless connection drops off. The little XP bubble comes up telling me there are other wireless networks available. I click on it, select mine, click connect, and all is good again for another 4-5mins.

Again, it's only this one computer that does this, I have two other laptops running XP and Linux respectively and they don't have this problem.

I thought that perhaps there was some stupid setting that told XP to notify me when it detected other wireless networks or something, so I switched the RF channel. No change, same thing occurs.

It's not the end of the world because clicking connect restores the network connection, but it is a pain in the ***.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

13. Ador

Ador

I have the EXACT same problem as you Heatsink!
    I have a Linksys router and a D-Link Air Plus wireless NIC on my laptop and i use XP Pro. 3 more computers connect to this router using other wireless NICs and only I with the D-Link have this problem!
    The difference is that my connection dies after several minutes and I first suspected power save options but I have set all related devices to not be affected by power settings and still the connection dies.

Can anyone help?

14. jaguar88

jaguar88

The only solutions I have seen, none of them worked for me, are using the start and stop MZC that I posted above, switching channels, avoiding large electrical or metal appliances, avoiding cordless phones, and someone on another forum suggested using WEP rather than WAP.

I think I am going to either drill holes in my walls or try the Home Plug Networking.

15. jaguar88

jaguar88

I started playing with the router setting and I found that if you log on to the router at 192.168.1.1 and then go to wireless>advanced wireless settings and then change the beacon interval from 100 ms to 200 ms, it works much better. I am not sure why but so far I have maintained my connection for about 22 hours. I am using a celeron 2.6mhz with windows XP home sp2. let me know if this helps anyone else.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/300459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice