1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless connection drops

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KZRider, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KZRider

KZRider Thread Starter

I have three identical Dell Inspiron 1505 notebooks connecting to our secure wireless home network via a Linksys WRT54G router. Each notebook make use of the Dell 1390 wireless card and each is managed by the software supplied by Linksys. Each are set up identically. I have updated all of the software and drivers I can think of using Dell's online support and have the XP operating system as up to date as I can make it. Two work flawlessly but one keeps dropping the wireless signal. All I can think is that the wireless card in the troubled unit is defective. Is there something else I should consider first? How do I diagnose whether a wireless card is working properly? What information do I need to supply to help you help me?

Thanks

2. DellCA

DellCA Account Closed

Hi KZRider,
    My name is Rick and I am a Customer Advocate located in Dells corporate headquarters in Round Rock TX. It does sound like the wireless card in that one system may be bad, but if you want to make sure there are a couple things you can try.

Make sure all systems are in clear range of the router, If all three systems are in the same place you can pretty much assume that its not a range issue. also the connection for the antenna may have come loose if you are connecting but just getting poor signal or occasional disconnects (I will be linking a tear down that you can use to help check this in the end of this post).

As you stated you have three identical systems, the easiest way to make sure its not a configuration or software issue would be to just swap the cards, putting the one that you believe is bad in a known good system. If the card fails in the known good system the card is most likely bad.

Here is a tear down showing how to access and swap the mini-card in the 1505: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6400/en/sm/cards.htm#wp1015787

If you have any questions and need to contact me directly you can e-mail me at [email protected] (Just put "Attn Rick 1505 wireless issue" in the subject line).

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're using a Linksys utility to manage the wireless connections??? On the problem PC make sure the Dell utility and Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) are not running. WZC is a service and Dell's may be a service. Find it or them in Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services.

I trust that you've tried the problem PC near the router or one of the others to make sure it is not suffering from wireless interference in a location that the others are not used.

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

put the suspect laptop in exactly the same position as one that works.:cool:

5. KZRider

KZRider Thread Starter

The troubled laptop has been tried in the same spot as both good ones but that reminder was good. I was unclear as to the meaning of your questions about using the WZC and Dell Utilities. I am assuming you think both are not good. On all three units, the WZC is not running but the Dell Utility is and, again, 2 of the 3 work well. I also assumed you thought the Linksys utility was questionable. I only use it because it was the method given by Linksys when setting up the router. Should I be using some other utility entirely? I guess I am reluctant to fix what ain't broken on the 2 working units but I am sure willing to try another option on the third.

Thanks for your feedback.

6. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i use wzc on one desktop with a 54g 2.0/usb adapter in the slower 1.1 and see dl's 2.5-3kmbps in a room away from the router.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If multiple wireless utilities are running they will conflict and cause problems. I would use the Dell and have WZC disabled, same as you do.

I still don't understand the Linksys utility; normally the Linksys wireless utility would only be used for Linksys adapters, and normally it is advised to use an ethernet connection to configure routers.

Your best bet right now is probably to follow up on DellCA's suggestions--his job, not just hobby, is to make people on forums like this happy with Dell. :)

8. DellCA

DellCA Account Closed

KZRider,
    Though I would pop back in to see if you got your problem solved. If there is anything I can do to assist just let me know.

TerryNet,
    I agree, I have never seen the Linksys utility used on a non Linksys card, actually I normally setup Linksys cards to go through WZC. And thanks for the vote of confidence. Honestly people like you make my job easier, as I often will search forums like this one for answers to questions that I can not solve on my own.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/601232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice