1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless connection fails on first few attempts

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jiggy1965, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jiggy1965

Jiggy1965 Thread Starter

When I start my laptop, an Acer 7715Z, it will try to connect to the internet, but often fails. I then try it a few times manually. But the first 5 minutes I can try as often as I like but it will give a 'problem' popup, offering me a windows troubleshooter (which doesn't find the problem). I just have to try manually over and over again until it finally connects. Then my problems are over and I can internet without loosing connection. This doesn't only happen at home, but also when I'm at relatives. So my modem or ISP is not the problem. Also, my other equipment works just fine (mac, iphone, ipod, netbook). I've updated the Broadcom 802.11n adapter driver, run a virus/malware check, etc. but nothing works. The wireless lan adapter I assume basically works ok as it doesn't loose connection once I get online? Is there another setting I could check or optimise? I find it so strange. It's like the first 20-30 times trying to manually connect something is blocking it and once I get through I'm online without problems or losing connection. As I mentioned earlier, my other equipment go online almost immediately. Is there some windows setting that could block my manual attempts for a few times before letting me in? Could the broadcom adapter be faulty after all, even when after connecting it stays connected and problem free? Any control panel or other setting I could check first before sending it to be checked/repaired?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky, Mcafee , AVG , Webroot etc

what is managing the wireless connection - it can be a program by acer , the adapter manufacturer or windows - if you hover over the wireless icon in the bottom right hand side - it may give a menu and you can open and see the program

there maybe a conflict if more that 1 program is trying to manage the wireless

3. Jiggy1965

Jiggy1965 Thread Starter

I'm using a virus/firewall program of my ISP. Using the same on my netbook which doesn't give me connection problems. It's the first and only suite I've used on my laptop (and netbook).

Don't know what is managing the wireless connection. When I hover over the wifi icon it first says there are connections available. And indeed, mine is at the top showing the green five bars wifi icon. Signal strength: excellent. Security WPA2-PSK. Radio type: 802.11n. Manually connecting is necessary though it's set to automatic. And the first few attempts fail, offering me a 'solve problem' popup. Sometimes I get through after a few attemps. Sometimes 'automatic' kicks in after all and I get an automatic connection while trying manual.

Once I'm connected I can't see what is managing the wireless connection too. Any way to check which program's are trying to manage the wireless?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you click on the item - or right click - do you get an option to open and then when open what do you see

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Also ...

Wayne gave you the three possibilities. If you have an Acer or Broadcom utility running it likely will have an icon in the Notification Area. Also you can find a process (and maybe an Application) in Task Manager or a service in (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - ) Services.

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from Acer's web site.

6. Jiggy1965

Jiggy1965 Thread Starter

When I right click on the wifi icon I get two options: 'solve problems' and 'open network center'
    Where I get a screen similar to this:
    [​IMG]
    Not able to find something there about which wireless managers are running.
    No, no such utility icon in the Notification Area.
    I first checked in the Services section. This shows a rather long list of services. None of which make sense to me as a computer 'dummie' (well, I'm an advanced computer user, just not so much into windows programming). I'm guessing I can narrow down the list by only looking at the 'network services' and forget about the 'local systems'? And from that list even more by only looking at the once which have a status of 'started'?
    The list in the Task Manager processes makes even less sense to me. Nothing that hints towards something managing the wireless.

7. Jiggy1965

Jiggy1965 Thread Starter

Not sure whether it's relevant, but seems to work better: I've compared the connection settings of the netbook and the laptop. The 'encryption type' of the netbook profile was set to AES and the laptop's TKIP. So I switched the laptop to AES too. That seemed to make it connect faster. Maybe it was a coincidence and later on it will fail to work again, but upon rebooting it connected and also when disconnecting and reconnecting again it connected. So far it only failed to connect that way once. Will so some more testing. Do you think that could have added to the connection problems? Or was I just lucky that it connected after switching from TKIP to AES?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice