1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless connection failure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Seekr2, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Seekr2

Seekr2 Thread Starter

This failed home wireless network scenario involves:

1 ea. Dell 2400 desktop - Windows XP SP2
    1 ea. HP Pavilion Notebook - recently reinstalled with Windows XP SP1, due to a replacement hard drive
    1 ea. DSL 2wire modem from ATT
    1 ea. Wireless G Router - 2.4 GHz-802.11g from Belkin. This router is the new element in the mix.

The wireless router is connected to the DSL modem. The Dell desktop is connected by Cat-5 Ethernet cable to the wireless router.

The HP notebook is equipped with 802.11g wireless connectivity.

After running the installation disk that came with the Belkin wireless router, and enabling WPA encryption, I entered the WPA encryption key into the laptop. It appeared to work correctly, for a few days providing a good Internet connection. However, I wanted to update the OS from SP 1 to SP 2, so I went to the Microsoft system software update page. There I continually got a download error indicating a firewall problem. Trying various solutions provided by Microsoft's site, I re-ran the Network Setup wizard on both the desktop and the PC. All of a sudden the HP cannot connect to the wireless network. (I also ran the Wireless Network setup, numerous times, and created a new network, with a new WPA key. Entering it into the laptop does not permit access.) The desktop pc has no problem connecting through the Ethernet.

I cannot recall fully the numerous dialog boxes and wizards I have tried without success. This appears to be not a hardware problem, but a systems setting problem beyond my experience to resolve.

In the Network Connections control panel, the wireless network is identified by an icon named Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g, labeled as Enabled. Double-clicking on that produces a properties box labeled Wireless Network Connection Status, with two tabs.

The General tab shows:
    Duration: 00:05:17
    Speed: 54.0 kbps
    Signal Strength: (an icon with five bars, showing full signal strength)

The Support tab shows:
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    Address Type: Invalid IP Address
    IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway:

There is a button on the Support tab, labeled Details. Clicking on the Details button produces a properties box labeled Network Connection Details, with the following data:
    Property Value
    Physical Address: (shown by six digit pairs separated by hyphens)
    IP Address: (an IP address is indicated)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway
    DNS Server
    WINS Server

Another button on the Support tab is labeled Repair. Clicking on the Repair button produces a status box that after about a minute resolves to: The following steps of the repair operation failed: Renewing the IP Address. Please consult your Network Administrator or ISP.

Since I am the Network Administrator on this home network, it does not help to consult myself.

I would greatly appreciate any helpful suggestions offered.

Thank you.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would connect by cable and download this program
    Free software to check signal strength of wireless is netstumbler 0.4.0 available for download from http://www.stumbler.net/

also take the WEP code off and see if it connects - cordless phones and microwaves can cause a lot of issues
    otherwise it may be another wireless network interfering - and changing channels will helpp - but netstumbler will tell you all about the networks in the area

3. Seekr2

Seekr2 Thread Starter

I disabled WPA/WEP through the wireless router. Now I can get on the Internet with the notebook through the wireless router. How do I restore the encryption and get back on? I also don't think there are any wireless networks nearby.
    Thank you.

4. extrados

extrados

Just a side note, but your 2Wire is BOTH a DSL modem AND a router. If yours is the recent 2700HG model from AT&T, it has 400mW G wireless, making me wonder why you have the Belkin. In addtion to any wireless issues you are having connecting to the Belkin, you will also have the dreaded "double NAT" problem, which will cause errors on email authentication, secure pages, etc.

To connect wirelessly to your HomePortal, the SSID is 2WIRE### (where the ### is the last three digits of the HomePortal's serial number), the encryption is set to 64-bit hexadecimal WEP by default, and the key is in square brackets [] below the serial number. If you want to change wireless settings, just directly connect to your 2Wire and go to http://gateway.2wire.net > Home Network > Wireless Settings. You can change the SSID (remember it's case sensitive!), turn off SSID broadcast, change channels and power settings, switch from WEP-Open to WEP-Shared or WPA-PSK, and set a customer encryption key.

Hope this helps,
    extrados

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    well we need to know what may be stopping the encyption working.

Neet to know if you have a cordless phone as that often causes problems - the solution in to change channels - only use 1, 6, 11 as they do not overlap - so if you are currently on channel 1 then change to 6 or 11 etc
    BUT also run netstumbler and check no other wireless networks around as you also want if possible to aviod any channels they are on

6. Seekr2

Seekr2 Thread Starter

to extrados:

I actually ordered the non-wireless model of the 2wire. It was $30.00 cheaper. When the wireless was needed, that's where the Belkin came in.

Thank you.

7. extrados

extrados

Oh, sorry, you must have one of the 1070/2070 models, then. My bad!

8. Seekr2

Seekr2 Thread Starter

I installed NetStumbler and ran it. My network is available. No other networks are visible to NetStumbler.

The cordless phone is not an issue. Without encryption I have been using the wireless network while another individual next to me is using the cordless phone.

What is the next step?

Thank you.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    2.4Ghz cordless phones are often, but not always, an issue. Also, they sometimes live in peace with open networks but interfere with encrypted ones. Just a note for you to be aware of as you continue.

Now that you have a successful wireless connection, try the WPA encryption again. But first check the HP web site to see if there is an updated driver/utility for the wireless adapter. You are using the adapter's utility or Windows' WZC to manage the connection. Make sure that the other one is not running (sometimes they conflict). If you still have trouble connecting, try using the other utility.

10. Seekr2

Seekr2 Thread Starter

I resolved the issue today by following instructions combined from the 2wire modem setup and the Belkin wireless router setup. Running the Microsoft Wireless Connection Wizard was a bad idea. It is now set up with encryption, and running.

Thank you.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice