1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless connection gets lost after a few mins -> then reconnect -> then lost again..

Discussion in 'Networking' started by goforgold99, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goforgold99

goforgold99 Thread Starter

Hi,

I configured a wireless network in my house a few days ago. I am using a D-Link DIR-300 Wireless router.

Everything has been working perfectly for 2 days until just an hour ago.

Suddenly the wireless connection was lost (no internet and no connection to router possible anymore via wireless), then Vista automatically tries to reconnect --> with success. connection is there again --> everything working fine for a few minutes --> then connectin gets lost again --> reconnect and so on.

I have tried it with a different Notebook and the same problem is there also. When the connection gets lost, it is on the other notebook lost also.

What could the cause for this be? :confused:

regards
    goforgold

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, the fact that it's happening with two different machines points to a common point of failure, the router.

Some things you can try here, listed in the order you should try them.

1. For wireless connections, remove all the stored wireless profiles and search for networks. You'll have to enter the encryption key again, which is sometimes the issue for connection problems.
    2. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
    3. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
    4. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.
    5. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
    6. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

3. FatPipe

FatPipe

You by some chance didn't recently upgrade the firmware in that router did you? With Dlink it matters, they've had major problems with firmware the last few months.

4. goforgold99

Now the following development has happened:

- It is now 1am for me and suddenly the Wireless LAN is perfectly stable again.
    The thing I have noticed just now: one network that I previously found (a very strong one, maximum number of bars) is now gone.

Could it be that my Wifi network and that other one are colliding in some way? And now that the other one is shut of mine works again? :confused:

@JohnWill
    I tried 2. and 3. Though for 2. I didn't try out every channel which I probably will do tomorrow if the problem is there again.
    4. and 5. won't be a solution I believe or at least very unlikely since the problem occures with both Notebooks and since it was working for days with that firmware and these drivers

@FatPipe
    No I didn't update the firmware. I was working outside for hours today, everything working perfectly, and then suddenly the connection problems occured (with Ethernet cable however everthing was still working fine)

5. FatPipe

FatPipe

I didnt scroll back up but have ya tried changing channels? Someone near you may have picked up a toy that misbehaves...

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You don't need to try all the channels unless you are in a congested area. Take note of what channel that strong network is using and try a channel number that differs by at least 5.

7. goforgold99

Alright, it works now. Thx guys!

I used a tool to see what networks use which channel and there were two others using mine.

I changed it to channel 5 where no overlappings are and now it works great again.

But why doesn't the router himself choose a channel where no network is? When I set him to automatic channel choosing he always chooses channel 2 where two other networks broadcast also :confused:

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are at the router when you detect other strong signals on channel 2 I do not know the answer to your question. If you are not near the router then probably those other signals are weak or not detected at the router's location. Then again, maybe it's just not a very smart router. :)

9. JohnWill

IMO, automatic channel selection on most SOHO routers sucks, it creates more problems that it solves!

I use Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector to find a free channel as far from any active channels as possible, especially avoiding the stronger signals.

10. FatPipe

FatPipe

It's a D-Link, that's why :D

11. JohnWill

I have used a number of D-Link products, including a number of their routers. Although they've produced some turkeys, most of them are just fine. I currently use a DNS-615.

I don't see where your response adds anything to the thread, perhaps you should give up your career as a comedian. :rolleyes:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/840508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice