1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless connection gone after installing SP2

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Paul_in_BNA, Oct 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paul_in_BNA

Paul_in_BNA Thread Starter

I have Dell Laptop 1000 running windows XP home edition it has a D-Link G630 Wireless card. In the site survey part of the D-link software it shows the avialable network then when I connect to it. It does not find the network.

It takes about 5 times of rescanning to even find the connection (If at all)then when it does find it. The computer says it is only at 1.0 MBS (usually 11MBS) so I open IE and it finds the site then it goes to 'can not find server'. Then it can not even find the connection any more.

I have checked the settings on the router to what it says in the instructions and also reloaded the drivers on the wireless card in the laptop.

Could it be the router or the card is bad??
    I don’t know what that service pack two did but even after reloading windows and formatting the hard drive did not change the problem. (Because it actually lost the connection right after it installed SP 2). I tried to restore it to before I installed SP2 and still nothing before I formated and loaded windows.

Could it (SP2) corrupted the card at all :confused: I am grasping for straws here.

It WAS working great before.

Thanks in advance.

Paul Robbins

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

No, SP2 shouldn't have been able to corrupt the card. You say you've re-formatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows, I assume you know about XP's built in firewall. If not, try disabling that while trying to get the wireless network working.

What about the access point? Have you changed any settings on that during this process? And you've checked the wireless card configurations more times that you can count?

Try borrowing a fresh computer to install the card and drivers. Or borrow a different card from somewhere. The first test will help eliminate the card itself as being a problem, the second will help eliminate that the computer is the problem...

-Scott

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

For starters, before you start to try and browse the network

1. Are you getting valid IP address information from the router
    2. Can you ping the router and other computers by IP address
    3. Can you ping the other computers by name

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/281252