1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Connection Gone Crazy

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RedSpades, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RedSpades

RedSpades Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

For some reason, my wireless connection made a different connection because last time I remembered, my wireless connection used to be called: Wireless Network Connection 2.
    But now theres a 3 instead of a 2 and my connection keeps saying: "You have limited or no connection at all."

What did I do? I remembered a screen that popped up and I selected "Home" from the dropdown list because I thought it asked me where I was using the connection and then my whole connection went strange. Right now, I'm using this unsecured wireless connection which I know is a bad idea but I need someone's help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like a re-installation of the wireless adapter. What's its brand and model?

Can you detect your network? If so, what happens when you try to connect?

3. RedSpades

RedSpades Thread Starter

The wireless connection I am using is Linksys Wireless.

When I see the Wireless Networks List, I see the unsecured wireless network I am using on the top of the list (low connection by the way :( ) and below it, I see the secured wireless network that I should be in but the problem is when I double click it and try to connect, it asks me for the Network Key... but what really shocks me is that it should be put in there already but it's gone. I am not sure what my Key is now... is that a problem or is there a way to retrieve it?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With some routers you can see the hex key or WPA passphrase and with others not. Just set a new one if you can't see the old.

5. RedSpades

RedSpades Thread Starter

How do I set a new one? Do I just put in a random alphanumerical password in the box?

When I do that, the network does connect to the network that I want to be in but it still says that the connection is limited or cannot be found.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are using WEP it's best to use a hex key because sometimes passwords get translated differently by different devices. If using the better WPA-PSK use letters, numbers and special characters mixed.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice