1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Connection HORRIBLY slow & New Battery Issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by WOLyineka, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WOLyineka

WOLyineka Thread Starter

Hi there,
    If you could please assist me in this ongoing issue I've had which is causing me so much stress, I would really appreciate it. D-link and HP require big fees for services and I simply can not afford to pay it. I spent $65 on D-link already and all they did was set up the connection, but the speed is impossible to deal with. It's much worse than dial-up and my productivity is being slaughtered.

Two main issues:
    A. Wireless Connection is extremely slow
    Both in my home (while my brother's wireless is perfectly fine on his laptop) and I run into the same issue at the Hilton Hotel where I am now (please note I'm on travels so D-link router stats etc will be limited since I can't check the machine or my notes). Hilton's tech support checked my IP address and it's supposedly showing a high-speed internet connection on the address.

B. Brand New Battery Failing
    I bought a brand new HP battery Sep 21, 2010 from amazon.com (1 "HP EV089AA 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery for HP Pavilion DV6000 DV2000" $78.18 Sold by: Westronics, Inc.<http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller/home.html/ref=ox_oce_seller_home?ie=UTF8&seller=A7I40QJF2AM82> and 1 "Laptop Power AC Adapter / Charger for Hewlett Packard Pavilion DV6000" $13.08). The battery was supposed to be something like 6-8 hours power cord-free power, the thing is so huge is protrudes out of the base of the notebook yet the day I got it, after 20 minutes of power-cord free use, the screen goes black and the only way to get access is to force a shut down and restart from scratch.

Computer Stats:
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T1350 @ 1.86GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2037 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 464896 MB, Free - 277833 MB; D: Total - 11958 MB, Free - 1243 MB;
    Motherboard: Quanta, 30BB, 66.21, None
    Antivirus: Webroot Internet Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Thank you so much in advance for your help and time, I really appreciate it!

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Your networking problem will be better dealt with when you're sitting near the relevant connection. Posters might need you to poke around in the settings.

The battery I have here on a customer's DV6000 is an HSTNN-LB42 and doesn't protrude out the back at all. I believe you may have the wrong one. You need to replace yours with HP SPARE 441425-001. Check your serial number at HP's website by searching in there for "DV6000 overheating" - you may qualify for an out of Warranty motherboard replacement. It won't cure your problems but it will make that laptop last longer.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have a look at the power settings for when using on battery - it may have gone into hibernation

Control Panel >
    Power Options >
    look at the options there for battery settings

You may also need to calibrate the battery
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00817650&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=1842155

I would also connect diectly to a router with a cable and see if thats slow , if not then
    I would update the wireless driver
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...8&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=1842155
    although it would be worth updating both adapters

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice