1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Connection icon not showing in Network Connections window or Taskbar

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Emilymb, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Emilymb

Emilymb Thread Starter

I've tried everything to get it back. In my network connections, it only shows my local area connection. I can't connect to a wireless network, and my wifi light on my keyboard isn't even lit.
    I don't have any switches or buttons on my keyboard either that would allow me to enable or disable wireless internet.
    I do have a wireless card built into my computer, and I have been able to connect to wireless networks for the three years that I've owned this laptop. It basically just stopped working a few weeks ago.
    By the way, it's Windows XP. Anyone have any idea how to get my Wifi back?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Let's see if we can find where it went. :)

What is listed under Network Adapters in Device Manager? What, if any, warnings or errors are anywhere in Device Manager?

What is the brand and model of your laptop?

3. Emilymb

Emilymb Thread Starter

Under my Network adapters is 'Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller', and it says the device is working properly. My Laptop is a Dell Latitude D610.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Look in the BIOS (Setup) to see if the wireless somehow got disabled there.

You can get to the wireless card by removing one of the covers on the bottom of the laptop. Consult the Dell maintenance manual (paper or on their web site) if you need specific instructions. In case of looseness or corrosion remove and carefully and firmly reinsert the card 3 or 4 times.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/956465