1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless connection issues to public hot spots

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aromes, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aromes

aromes Thread Starter

When I bring my laptop to some wireless free Internet public hot spots, connect
    myself to the available and opened a web page, but it wont open any web page.
    My Laptop's wifi card is active and ready to go
    (The wireless adapter is properly installed with the correct drivers and there are no conflicts
    in Device Manager + Wireless Connection icon in the Network Connections folder is enable +
    TCP/IP is correctly set to be used with my Wireless connection via DHCP ).
    So I right click on the wireless network icon, and select "View Available Wireless Networks".
    I picked an available network and connected to it.
    It says that I am connected to that network when I look at the wireless network indicator (bottom
    right of my windows XP Pro Desktop - next to the time indicator).
    So I use my web browser to open a web site, and it complains that the "web page could not be displayed"...
    I talked to the ppl of those Internet Cafes, and they keep telling me that it should work
    right away with no need of any particulat setup. They have no clue of what to do though.
    I am kind of doubtful about the "it should work right away" statement since any public hot spot may at least
    require some sort of authentification or permission to get through.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    check the ipconfig /all - see if you get an IP
    if you do try pinging google.com

also look in the internet options
    whats under connection
    and LAN settings

also a program to check out wireless

Free software to check signal strength of wireless is netstumbler 0.4.0 available for download from http://www.stumbler.net/

3. aromes

aromes Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your generous help, etaf.
    As soon as I get to the computer in problem, I will try your recommendations.
    Under Internet Explorer's Internet Options --- from what I remember --- I had nothing
    under "Dial-up and Virtual Private Network Settings". Nothing as well under LAN Settings since
    these hot spots seemed to have nothing to provide to me (no proxy server, no configuration script).

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    that should be OK
    maybe a firewall is the issue

do you use wirless at all OK

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!