1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless connection issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jthelpless, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jthelpless

jthelpless Thread Starter

Hopefully I won't confuse myself here. I have a Netgear wireless router (Firmware ver 4.11) and a Netgear MA101 usb wireless adapter with the latest drivers. "Jack" A friend of mine who lives right above me has a DLink DI-614+ Rev A wireless router (Firmware 2.20) and a DLink Laptop wireless adapter (Not sure of the model # or driver version)

Jack has his desktop hard wired into the DLink router and networks his laptop in via the wireless adapter and DLink router. He is also able to network his laptop with the same adapter to my Netgear router.

All systems running Windows XP.

The problem is I am unable to connect to his DLink router to join his network. My desktop his desktop and laptop. After making sure that everything matches up SSID, WEP, and Worgroup still unable to connect. I can see the signal and its strong so I am assuming I am missing some setting or his router is simply just not letting me connect. After searching the issue I find that firmware Ver 2.18 for his DLink router adds a 4x mode which led me to this (pasted below) solution. Disabled 4x mode and all mentioned settings go back to defaults. I am still however unable to connect to his DLink router.

If your still with me Thank You! Am I missing something or has anyone run into this problem before.

An emulator is available for the DLink DI-614+ Here which may help anyone to see something I may have overlooked. To get to the 4x mode section click on the Advanced tab at the top and then the Performance button on the bottom left.

If any more information is needed please let me know.

2. pfizzle

pfizzle

have you tried changing the mode of the wireless nic? try it in adhoc:D

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you expect to connect to the DI-614+, the client must be in Infrastructure Mode, Adhoc will not be able to communicate with a wireless router.

4. pfizzle

pfizzle

I was thinking he could connect to the other LAN in adhoc by going through the laptop's wireless NIC. Wireless NIC to wireless NIC.
    :D :D :D

5. jthelpless

Yes the Netgear adapter is set to Infrastructure Mode. Any other ideas?

6. jthelpless

Any wireless gurus out thier?

7. pfizzle

pfizzle

8. coulterp

coulterp

The Netgear router has the facility to restict access to defined MAC addresses (I know I use it); you set it to stop folks you doesn't want using your bandwidth. :)

Have you that set up on your router - and more importantly does your D-link router owner have the same facility and is he using it?

(I can only speak for the Netgear router). The facility can be either turned off completely - thus any wireless device that can detect the WLAN can get onto it - or the facility can be activated and a list of permitted MAC addresses created as required. The MAC addresses will be the MAC address of the WLAN adaptors that the user wishes to allow onto the WLAN.

9. coulterp

coulterp

Sorry ... anwersing my own stuff now!

Yes the D-link router does have MAC address filter. See under Advanced/Filters in the router GUI.

Check out with your D-link owner if he has any filtering switched on, it could be preventing you getting onto his router. (Note there are several other blocking filters listed there so you need to check 'me all out!)

10. JohnWill

FWIW, I just configured my DI-614+ to talk to an SMC PCMCIA card, and I not only had to disable the 4x mode, but I also had to limit the speed to 11mbit, not the default 22mbit. After I did that, it connects to non-DLink wireless devices.

11. jthelpless

Thanks for the suggestion john will give that a try and let you know how it goes. :)

12. jthelpless

Nope no filtering set at all, its wide open just wont connect.

13. jthelpless

johnwill That did it ahhh 3 days later thanks now I can sleep. :D

14. JohnWill

Glad it helped, it threw me for a loop for several hours! :D

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice