1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Connection Issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cinrose, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cinrose

cinrose Thread Starter

Help!

I've read other threads but nothing seems to be helping me so I thought I'd start my own.

I have two PCs connected to a Linksys Wireless-G Router with wires. Connection is fine for these PCs. At the time I connected them, I configured my laptop to connect wirelessly - again, no problem. Great signals, no disconnect the last few days.

Today? I restarted my computer. Now, I will mention I renamed the SSID. But I configured the router to recognize the new name AND I've set up the laptop with the new name as well. The laptop is connecting to the router under the new name, but it is losing signal every few minutes and all of the signals it does obtain are weak, whereas before all signals were excellent.

I'm running XP on the laptop. I changed the Wireless Zero Configuration to manual, I've unchecked and rechecked, "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network' and I'm still having issues.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!

2. cinrose

cinrose Thread Starter

I reset the router and started from scratch. The desktops are connected through wires and are online. I can no longer get any wireless connection on the laptop. Not even a weak one. I've effectively killed it.

Any advice would really be helpful. I've been playing with this all day and I'm at a complete loss as to why I cannot connect at all now.

3. cinrose

cinrose Thread Starter

I've troubleshooted the wireless network card - it appears to be working. In the, "Wireless Network Connection Properties" window, I'm able to configure a preferred network according to the router settings, but I cannot get the computer to recognize this preferred network as an available network. The icon next to Preferred network connection I set up appears active (little blue bubble type icon as opposed to red icon).

Is this my router being a pain, or am I configuring the hardware wrong on the computer? And if it is the router, are my problems all interference or do you think the router wireless capabilities could fail while the router continues to work for wired connections? I don't think there would suddenly be massive interference enough to kill the connection after 48 consecutive hours of no problems, could there?

4. cinrose

cinrose Thread Starter

I've managed to get the wireless connection running again by resetting the router, but service is poor when it does connect (low to very low signal readings) and lasts approximately 45 seconds each time before disconnect.

Anybody have any thoughts on what the problem might be? I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

5. cinrose

cinrose Thread Starter

Now I have a great signal, great speed on my wireless laptop. Unfortunately, I'm still not on the Internet because the computer cannot find an IP address. Occasionally it does find an address, but it never keeps it for more than a few minutes.

I tried changing the 'Wireless Zero Configuration' to manual when an IP address was actually found and working, but it didn't correct the problem.

What's going on? Am I doomed to never connect to the Internet from my laptop?

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Someone out there must be having a similar problem.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice