Wireless Connection Issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

becoolioman

Summary

For the last six monthes, my internet wireless internet connection has worked perfectly fine and I have been able to connect to it with no problems until I plugged it in using the ethernet cable. The laptop did not connect to a wired connection so I unplugged and that was that. The next day I tried to connect to the internet wirelessly and it connects fine. The issue I am having is that even though it is connected to the wireless, it cannot access the internet. Everytime I enter Internet Explorer, I get the cannot be found page. The router still works as I have tested it with other systems. Sorry to be such a bother but could you please help me. :)

Specs

-Laptop, Dell Inspiron 6000

-Windows XP Media Center Edition

-Cisco Linksys Wireless G-Broadband Router

Other Notes:

-this does this with any connection, and not just the router.

-as a recent edition to this nightmare, it also disconnects everytime it connects to a network

Things I have done:

-deleted the explorer cache

-tried to disconnects and reset the connection

-reset the router

-repaired the connection

What this seems like at first glance is that your wireless adapter has been set to manual dhcp configuration.

First, open your network connections folder and right-click on the wireless adapter, then select properties. Here you will see a list of protocols and services; Scroll down to "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", select it and click on properties. In this dialogue, if "obtain IP address automatically" is not selected then select it, and then do the same for the DNS address.

If this is not the issue (DHCP is automatic), then we will need you to do the following while the wireless is connected:

Hit Windows+R and type cmd in the run dialogue box. in the command line type without quotes "ipconfig /all". After the command has run, right-click near the top of the page and select mark; Then left-click at the top left corner of the page and drag to the bottom to select all of the text; Now hit enter and the results will be copied to your clipboard. Please paste those results here.

TerryNet

Terry
First try the following repairs ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

If still not connecting please try to connect by ethernet and wireless and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

becoolioman

all right
I did Terry Net's idea and actually got the computer to pick up wireless signals. But now I have a second problem.

The router will not allow anything wireless to connect to it it, yet the anything attached to the ethernet cable works fine. Any suggestions? :)

Thanks Terry Net. :)

TerryNet

Terry
Make sure you have the latest firmware update for the router. Then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it--but don't enable encryption or MAC Address filtering.

Try to connect by wireless. If unsuccessful please show an ipconfig /all (see previous post). If successful enable encryption (preferably WPA(2)-PSK) and try to reconnect.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online