1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless connection issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Louc32, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Louc32

Louc32 Thread Starter

I am having problems with my wireless connections being painfully slow or not connecting at all due to timing out. I have a wired conection to a PC which works perfectly and wireless conections to a laptop and PS3.
    All of the hardware works fine in isolation, however once the (wired) PC is on the download speed of the laptop and PS3 become so slow that they are rendered useless.
    I have updated the firmware for the router (netgear DGN2000) and have performed numerous virus scans on the PC and laptop, all have come up clear.
    Any help anyone can offer to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated as until a week ago everyting was fine and I cannot understand what has gone wrong.

Many thanks for reading

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It sounds like there is something on the wired PC using all the bandwidth or else the router is favoring the ethernet over the wireless. Does the laptop experience the same problem connected by ethernet instead of wireless?

3. Louc32

Louc32 Thread Starter

We haven't tried hard wiring the laptop as it has all worked perfectly until recently. However, having read lots of articles on this website we did notice that phones can sometimes cause a problem. Based on this and the fact that we had had to recently move our phone, we moved our phone and router further apart. Amazingly enough this seems to have worked. (Not sure if this is just luck or if we are on to something).

yours hopefully:confused:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    2.4 GHz cordless phones certainly cause wireless interference.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice