1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless connection keeps dropping out on only 1 computer!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wigbatt, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wigbatt

wigbatt Thread Starter

Jul 12, 2010
    Hi all, I have 3 computers in the house, this dell laptop which works fine with the wireless network, the wifes work computer which is ethernet connected, no problems there, and my own pc, which worked wirelessly for 2 months with a d-link N series router and my netgear G series adapter, but all of a sudden without any settings being changed, it now connects when it wants and most of the time the router cant even be found, yet I can connect to open networks in my street just fine, and when it does connect to our own router it soon loses speed down to 2mbps then gives up! All the time this is happening, this laptop is working fine and doesn't go slow or anything!

By the way, the problem pc is running windows xp home, with 756mb RAM. I am also in England, UK.

Any help or idea's will be gratefully received, I will try anything! Since having to move out of the office so that the bride can work from home, my pc has been made redundant since the wireless connectivity failed!

Many thanks in advance!

2. pedroguy

Jan 28, 2001
    Hi: From the failing laptop,let's see this:
    Wifi test exe. Hint from Johnwill

Download and run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspecto from
    on the problem machine. Post a screen shot of the main screen here.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button
    to upload it here.

Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.
    And just to be sure,confirm your network's name for me.
    Also,might try to boot up in safe mode with networking.Run for a while.Same problem ?
    How far apart physically are the working and non working laptops ?
    And the other thing you might try is,deleting all wireless profiles,then find your wireless network and log onto it using your encryption code.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Mar 23, 2005
    To manage the connection are you using the Netgear utility or XP's WZC? And are you sure that the other one is not running?
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/935197