1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless connection keeps failing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by WantedFish, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WantedFish

WantedFish Thread Starter

Hi,

Recently, I've been having some trouble with my wireless connection on my PC. I am running Windows XP SP2 and the network card is a PCI Belkin Wireless G 54mbps.

After my PC has been on four about 15 - 30mins, the wireless connection drops and Windows tells me that there are no wireless networks available. When the connection is working, there are always about 8 wireless netowrks available. After I reboot the PC, the connection works again. Before this problem started, I could connect to my router at 54mbps, but since the problem has started, the connection speed varies between 11 and 36mbps.

My laptop - which sits near my PC works fine and can detect all the available networks when the PC says there are none. When I try and disable/re-enable the network card, or change any of its properties, Device Manager hangs and only an 'end process' will close it.

I tried upgrading the driver, but still no joy. I have recently bought a new network card (TP-Link TL-WN353G) but I get identical problems. However, I have just noticed that both of the cards use the Realtelk RTL8185L chipset. I could deduce that this is the problem, but the card worked perfectly well for 6 months prior to the problem starting.

The PCI bus seems to be working fine; I plugged a SBLive! sound card into the slot and I had no problems with that.

Can anyone offer any light on what this problem might be, or how to try and diagnose the fault?

Many thanks in advance,

Fish

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Ok:So I have to ask a really dumb question here.Are you trying to log onto your own local network or someone elses?
    If someone elses,then no help here.If your own,we need to know the following:

Request to Provide network information,as compiled by Johnwill

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

What country are you located in.
    Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
    What is the expected Upstream/Downstream speed for your ISP Connection?
    Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
    Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
    Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
    Connection type, wired or wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Make and model of your computer.
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP1-SP2, Vista, etc.
    The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?

If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands:

PING 216.109.112.135

PING yahoo.com

3. WantedFish

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Here is the information you require:

Its my network I am trying to connect to.
    I'm in the UK (Scotland)
    ISP: Virgin Media (ASDL)
    Down/Up: 8mbps/256mbps
    Network adapter: TP-Link TL-WN353G (Realtelk RTL8185L chipset)
    Router: Thomson ST780 (software version: 6.2.29.3)
    Connection type: wireless
    Encryption: WEP
    My PC: self-build/P4 Prescott 2.8ghz/800mhs FSB/2gb RAM
    Browsers: IE7, FF2, IE6

The problem is exactly as described from paragraph 2 in my original post.

I don't get the problem with a wired connection on the same PC

My laptop is on the network but does not experience any of the same problems.

Ping result:
    Destination Host Unreachable

etc etc 100% packet loss

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Fish

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi wanted:Ok.I think given your added info,it might be a good idea to move this thread to the networking forum for more analysis.
    Use the "Report" button at the bottom of the update.Sorry I could not be of more assistance.
    Pedro

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

So,just another thought while I still have you.
    2 things.
    Go to the router's web site and download and install any more current firmware.
    In some cases like this a router reset(reset to default config) solves the problem.
    These are the easy things we recommend to address loss of connectivity issues.
    Another thing, I believe:connection speed and actual download speed can and usually are different #'s
    I would suggest just FYI that you do a speed test or two just to see what your actual download speed really is.And is it what you are paying for.
    Since you are in the UK,I cannot suggest an online site,but Virgin Media may have a suggestion.
    Pedro

6. WantedFish

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

As I have tried to explain, the problem is not with my home network. After my PC has been on for around 15 - 30 minutes, my wireless connection drops and Windows is unable to find any wireless networks (including my own). Before the connection drops, Windows detects several wireless networks. If there was a problem with my network, my laptop would not be able to connect.

Regards,

Fish

7. WantedFish

Hi,

I've posted all the information asked for. Does anyone have any help or advice to offer on this matter?

Many thanks,

Fish

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

As I said in post 4,I think you would be better served on this thread by moving it to the networking forum.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/736996