1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Connection Problem- Need Help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by HCB4, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HCB4

HCB4 Thread Starter

Hi guys, this is my first post, so I'll try to be as thorough and clear as possible.

I have a wireless "Cisco Aironet 350" wireless LAN adapter which was working with my laptop and XP fine. It was connecting to a D-Link wireless router.

After taking it to my University and connecting to there network, after I had returned, the connection was no longer picking up the D-link network I have at home.

My current settings are:

After double clicking on wireless icon:

"Choose a Wireless Network"

linksys- not connected

unsecured wireless network

"This network is configured for open access. Information sent over this network may be visible to others. If you want to connect to this network click connect"

After choosing "Change advanced settings" the info I got:

Connect using:

Cisco Systems 350 series Wireless LAN...

This connections uses the following items:

"Little Check Box ticked off" - Client for Microsoft networks
    "Little Check Box ticked off" - File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft networks
    "Little Check Box ticked off" - QoS Packet Scheduler
    "Little Check Box ticked off" - Internet Protocol (TCP/ICP)

All the information above is from "General Tab"

After going to "Wireless Networks Tab", I got:

"Little Check Box ticked off"- Use windows to configure my wireless settings

Preferred Networks:

Automatically connect to available networks in the order listed below:

linksys (Automatic)
    default (Automatic)
    USR8054 (Automatic)
    (Automatic)

After going to "Advanced" Tab, I got:

Internet Connection Sharing

"Little Check Box NOT checked off" - Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection.

This is all the information I think may be important. If you need anymore, just lmk.

Also, I know nothing about comp's, so any information I get, I would prefer is it's in step by step, easy instructions. Thanks!

2. rboliva

rboliva

Note: Go to run: open up services.msc, one of the items there is wireless zero configuration. make sure that is running or started, if that is stopped, just start
    the application.

1. access your a/p web utility(i suggest you use a wired pc), change your wireless network name.
    2. on your wireless card configuration, under preffered networks, remove the old
    wireless network name, just add the new name. reboot your pc.
    3. IF that does not work, try to uninstall/install your wireless card driver.

3. HCB4

HCB4 Thread Starter

HUH? :confused:

My wireless zero configuration was on, but I didn't understand what "a/p web utility" stands for.

Same goes for number 2.

However, I did manage to uninstall the card and then re-insert it. No luck.

I assume all my settings are on default, so if someone can help me adjust these settings, I'd GREATLY appreciate it!

Also, when I try to fix my wireless connection with "Repair this Connection" under "Networks Task," The pop up I recieve is:

"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the folowing action cannot be completed.

Connecting to the Wireless network

For assistance, contact the person who manages your network."

ALso, I have two computers connected to the router through cables sucessfully.

4. rboliva

rboliva

your d link router, is your wireless access point. if im not mistaken the default ip address of the router is 192.168.0.1

you can access the router's web utility(set up page) by opening up your browser, go to this site http://192.168.0.1 (like most routers have their set up page for configuration)

you'll find there the wireless settings of your router, you have the option to either change your wireless channel, wireless network name, and enable your wireless security.

if you can succesfully connect to your wireless router. make sure your getting a valid ip address(if the same sub net of your network). and you can ping the router and you can ping any sites(you can go to
    the Command window or dos prompt). You can verify your ip address by
    going to connection status window- support- it will give your ip address.

for example: ping 192.168.0.1 or ping www.yahoo.com
    you should be getting replies. if your getting replies you should be
    able to go online, if not try disabling any firewalls(win firewall, mcafee,norton)

goodluck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice