1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless connection problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jolie_1078, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jolie_1078

jolie_1078 Thread Starter

I have a problem when using wireless internet connection in my laptop ACER with OS Windows XP. I called the tech support but wasn't able to solve my problem. The wireless modem is just beside my laptop but when I tried to connect thru wireless, it can't..it has no connectivity or limited. but using cable connected to the port, it's working very good. There is no problem with the modem because it's working properly. I dont what's the problem of my laptop.
    Hope anybody here could help me this. Thank you in advance guys..God Bless

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You should really have started your own thread for this problem but as it's (hopefully) a simple one, I'm sure the OP won't mind if I respond. Your wireless problem is one of security and the key to get into the system has to be in-put. Some routers have this prionted on the base or on a card which came from your ISP but they all store the information in their settings so you need to go in and find it.

You interface with the settings in Internet Explorer while wired to the router by typing the address of the router in as though it was a webpage. To find the address, go Start>Run and in the Open box, type cmd /k ipconfig /all I(including all the spaces) and from the black form that follows, take a note of the numeric code beside Default gateway. Type exit to close that form then open IE and input that code into the address bar. Different routers have differing login and password but most will admit you using admin as the login and either admin or password as the password. Post back if you have a D-Link or can't get in.

Find the wireless settings area and then security and take a note of the type of security - WEP, WPA/PSK or whatever and the Security Key. You can leave IE now and click up the Wireless networking icon and go to View Wireless Networks. Select yours and click to Connect. You'll be prompted to key in that Security Key in each of two input boxes. Do that and the system will save the connection for the future so you shou
    ldn't need to do all this again.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You now have your own thread, in case the one reply is not enough to get you going.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice