1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless connection problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marcg, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marcg

marcg Thread Starter

I have experienced this same problem with two different PCMCIA wireless cards on two different laptops. The wireless cards install with no problem, but the connection toggles back and forth from "Signal strength: Excellent" to "Unavailable" constantly. It seems to be a problem only specific to cards, because I have had a laptop in this same hot zone with built in wireless on the motherboard, and had no problems at all with connectivity. Has anyone experienced this same thing? And is there maybe something that I have to do with the card that I don't know about to get it to stay connected constantly? Thanx.

marcg

2. Bowler

Bowler

I had a similar problem with my Netgear USB adaptors type WG121. I got over it by right clicking on the task bar icon for the wireless adaptor and a Netgear Smart Wireless Facility dialogue box appeared. Make sure the network name is the same as for your manufacturer type, you have to do the same for both adaptors, and all will be well.;)

I assume you have installed both adaptors fully on both computers!!

Hope that helps.

3. grantmg

grantmg

Hey Bowler, I've been trying out the same adaptor (WG121). I can pick up 3-4 networks but can NEVER connect to anything. One time it was phasing in and out like the other gentleman said. I don't understand how it says one access point is 100% signal and can't connect at all (unsecured). WTF!

4. winbob

winbob

In your Netgear connection utility is there a Network NAME specified as the "Network Name (SSID)"??? What IS in that field?

5. grantmg

grantmg

Since there were 3 networks I could see at one point, the SSID's were:
    linksys, misty, and 266 51.
    "Linksys" was the only one without WEP so I was trying to manually connect to that one.

6. winbob

winbob

I'm getting the feeling that NONE of the listed networks are yours?

That's a problem!

The only time that I see the "toggling" from excellent to unavailable is when my system is looking for the connection...and prior to connecting.

I have to believe that your wireless base unit is not set up correctly or sending out its own SSID.

Go thru the set up procedure very carefully once again on your AP or wireless router.

7. grantmg

grantmg

LOL, sorry Winbob I forgot to mention that my complex has provided the neighborhood with free wireless internet. So, I've been trying to jump onto theirs but I've picked up 4 access points so far & can't connect to either of the 2 without WEP. Blah...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice