1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Connection Randomly Dies

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Yodle, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yodle

Yodle Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I've been having the same problem for months now and have finally decided to try to get some help after attempting multiple fixes. I use both a wired connection and wireless connection on my new laptop depending on where I am in the house (if I'm hooked up to my docking station its wired, otherwise i'll be on the wireless). The wired connection works fine, but the wireless connection will often completely die on me without any apparent cause. I'm pretty sure the problem is with my laptop due to the following reasons:

1) My dad uses the same connection when he works from home, and told me he doesn't have any problems with it.
    2) Just for testing services, I tried using a neighbors WiFi connection, and received the same results.

I've tried changing my DNS server between OpenDNS, Google's DNS, etc. and have not had any luck. I made sure my wireless cards weren't sleeping by un-checking 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. I uninstalled Hamachi to make sure it wasn't messing up any of my settings and still had the same problems. I've updated all my drivers and even re-installed them.

Just to describe what exactly happens during these disconnects, any live connections prior to the point where the internet disconnects stay alive (usually, such as Skype calls, AIM connections, certain games, etc.) and will stay open until closed. Web pages behave in a similar fashion, and in fact will be able to be closed and open in the same browser if they were open prior to the disconnect. However, if I close all the tabs and restart the browser, the page will no longer be able to load (it'l try to load for a minute, then give me a DNS error, then refreshing after this will just automatically bring up the error instead of trying to load for another minute)

In order to resolve the disconnection, I've found I can do the following:

1) Restart my computer (yes it fixes it, but I dislike having to restart each time it happens)
    2) Open up a command prompt and type in "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew". This is by far the fastest way to fix it, but the disconnects occur more often after doing it the first time it happens.
    3) (This one is strange) As mentioned previously, if I connect to a neighbors WiFi, I'll be able to use theirs for awhile, before it disconnects as well. At this time, I am able to switch back to my own and use it normally until mine disconnects, then I can switch back to theirs. If I try to switch back to mine before theirs stops working, mine will still be down.

The disconnects occur at random, sometimes my internet will hold out an entire night, other times after a few minutes it'l cut, and cut every few minutes after turning back on. I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on a Lenovo. My internet provider is Verizon FIOS, using one of their routers/modems.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver. If an integrated adapter get it from the laptop manufacturer's web site. If an external adapter get the driver from the adapter manufacturer's site.

What, if any, non-Windows firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. Yodle

Yodle Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. I've always used MSE for security. Should I be entering those commands when the disconnections happen or just anytime I want? And I'll recheck for updates but I'm pretty sure I updated them all.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do the stack repairs whenever convenient. Only a very small chance that they will help, but I don't want to overlook such a simple potential fix.

5. Yodle

Yodle Thread Starter

I'll get back to you if they help or not. It's hard to tell when they actually occur sometimes as I'm not always using my computer, but thanks so far.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1058077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice