1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless connection speed issue - intel pro wireless 2200bg

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ozarki, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozarki

ozarki Thread Starter

I bought a toshiba satellite m45-s2692 on April 2, 2006.
    It has an intel pro wireless 2200bg adapter - driver v 9.0.1.9
    I have it connected a netgear wgr614v5 router.
    it has a problem maintaining a constant speed. I watched the network monitor on the notebook and it always shows a "connection excellent" however, the speed is not constant - it will vary from 1mbsp to 54 mbsp - but seldom does it maintain the 54 mbsp.

on 4/20/2006, I sent the machine to toshiba - they replaced the network adapter - or so they said, and wiped the hard drive and reinstalled the original software.
    I rec'd the machine back and find that the problem has not changed - it still will not maintain a steady speed so viewing files on other pcs on the lan takes forever and page loads on the net can also occupy too much time.

I have an older toshiba satellite with a netgear wireless wg511t adapter.
    I have watched the monitor on that one and it will show connection excellent and maintains a steady speed of 54 mbsp. these two machines can be sitting side by side or in separate rooms and still the old one will maintain it's connection and speed but the new will not maintain the speed.

I called toshiba up again, and they want to say it's my router. I explained to them that another toshiba on the same network does not faulter -- so how can it be the router?
    they didn't want to, but they are "granting" me service to send the machine back to them again. I haven't done that yet, as I thought I would see if there was some real help elsewhere -- like perhaps here :)

just to be on the CYA side, I updated the firmware on the netgear router - the problem remained.
    also, after reading several wireless issues on this board, and learning how to do pings and such, I did run the DrTCP and changed the mtu to 1462.

dsl modem = netopia caymen 3300 series
    router = netgear 614v5
    windows xp home - on all computers

anyone have any idea why the new toshiba will not maintain a speed on the same router as the old toshiba that continues to work and maintain a speed?
    I would prefer to resolve this issue without having to send it off to toshiba again, as I'm not convinced they actually checked the problem before swapping parts and reformatting.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd do a couple of things. Make sure you have the current Intel drivers for that adapter, since it's infamous for lousy drivers. Also, download the Intel client and turn off the Windows wireless client, see if that helps maintain the connection.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I can fully support JohnWill's post. Had exactly the same problem with that adapter and the wrong driver (my fault--I got it from the Intel site). As soon as I got the correct driver from Dell (my laptop's manufacturer) the problem was fixed. My driver is 9.0.2.31 and is dated 7/19/2005.

I prefer and use Intel's utility, and some other folks on this forum have had problems go away when they switched from WZC to Intel's.

4. JohnWill

I'm fully supported, I must be doing something wrong! ;) :p

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... I must be doing something wrong!"

I was very hesitant to express my support--feared it might go to your head. Glad you have the right attitude about it! :)

6. ozarki

ozarki Thread Starter

I went to the intel site and there was an undate - 78 mb -- and of course because of it's size the lack of speed issue, the darn thing kept timing out. I finally d/l the file using another computer and was able to get it moved to the problem one.

Ran the software which now puts me at version 9.0.4.13

OMG! I think I peed a little cuz I got so excited :)
    -- it has been working consistently at 54mb for over 2 hours and that is after a reboot.

I'm so happy -- it looks like I won't have to send my brand new machine away again!

THANK YOU JohnWill and TerryNet!

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome, ozarki. Glad it's blazing along now.

One note of caution: normally it's best to get drivers for integrated devices, such as this one, from your laptop manufacturer's web site in case they had to make modifications for the motherboard. But your's is working great now so don't touch it. Don't fix what ain't broke. :)

8. JohnWill

Wow, a success story, it may go to my head! :D

9. ozarki

ozarki Thread Starter

Sad update :(

After having the machine run for a couple hours at a steady 54mb -- it started dropping out. It's not going as low as it did before (1mb), so far the lowest i've seen is 18mb. From what I'm reading on other spots on the net, it appears that this 2200bg has been a flake for quite some time.

A blog I read with tons of comments on the subject had one responder say that the only way they could get it to work steadily was to downgrade to a version 8 driver. Several other peeps there tried it and it seemed to work for them too.
    I downloaded downgrade version - but haven't installed it yet.
    My machine is only a month old, I hate to downgrade drivers -- but I'm pretty frustrated, so I'll probably give a try :(
    I'll post here with the results.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Check the Toshiba site to see if they have the driver modified for your motherboard.

11. ozarki

ozarki Thread Starter

I went to the toshiba support site and the latest driver they have is the one that was initially installed - 9.0.1.9.
    The old version 8 also started dropping out, so I did a restore and now have the 9.0.1.9 version installed again and modified the power settings - the problem stayed.

So, just out of curiosity, I pulled the netgear adapter out of the old toshiba and plugged into the new toshiba and sure enough, the speed was maintained.
    Now, I have relay this important piece of information to 'global toshiba' (who by the why is generally Phillapina - and I am 100% monolingual English - problem #1).
    And it's only 8:30 in the morning - yeah, it's gonna be a day of battles, I can feel it.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good luck ozarki. Sounding like the problem is that Toshiba needs to get a more recent Intel driver and modify it for their motherboard(s).

13. ozarki

ozarki Thread Starter

I'm back and still with the same problem.
    I ended up sending the machine back to toshiba for the second time, only to have them return it with NPF --- no problem found - hence they did not thing.

I found these recommendations (I think on the netgear site) and did them and it seemed to help somewhat -- at least it only dropped down to 36mb instead of 1 mb:
    -) switch roaming aggressiveness to minimum value (uncheck the default tick before to unlock the bar);
    -) on throughput gain (or improvement, I haven't got the EN version) set active;
    -) on energy saving (the last) force maximum (it means max performance)

However, what I'm trying to find is a free dsl connection speed monitor that will create a log. Anyone know of such a thing?

14. JohnWill

One other thing I'd check. Make sure that ALL the "turbo" functions that are not 802.11g standard are disabled in your router. Sometimes those features will actually screw up connections with different brands of WiFi equipment.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/464933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice