Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wireless connection to Router good but Internet connection drops

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
Hi,

Hoping someone can help.

I have a Sony Vaio laptop running Windows XP with a wireless connection to a broadband router.

Several weeks ago my laptop started dropping the internet connection randomly (I'm alos unabel to access email when this happens).

My wireless network icon in my toolbar shows the connection as 'Excellent' but for some reason both Internet and Email is not available. The only way to fix the problem has been to restart my laptop which is very frustrating.

I've noticed that this also happens randomly when I'm at home (using different wireless broadband modem) so I think the issue is my laptop not the 2 x routers/modems.

I'm running NOD32 for security as well (but have been for 4 years now with no problems till now).

Please help.

#2 ·
Hi:So you are having this problem at two different locations ?
Think I might download/install from the Sony site,the latest driver for your wireless adapter.
Also run this app and let's see what wireless activity is around you and what you signal strength really is
Wifi test exe. Hint from Johnwill

Download and run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspecto from
Xirrus: The Leader in High Performance Wi-Fi - Advanced IT Wi-Fi Networking Tools
on the problem machine. Post a screen shot of the main screen here.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button
to upload it here.

Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

#4 ·
Well, in that location, you have three strong wireless networks all running on channel 11, so it's not surprising. I'd try changing the channel to channel 3 or 9 to start.

#5 ·
Hi,

I can try that but I also get the same problem at home (with the Internet connection dropping). I don't have the same amount of wireless networks round me when I'm home, so not sure that is the issue.

Do you still think I should change my channel? If I do this here at work will it effect how I connect at home?

How do I change the channel?

#7 ·
My computer lost it's Internet connection this morning and I've recorded the details from Event Viewer. They are:
Event Viewer - System
Source = DHCP
Type = Warning
Message = Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0018DED6B8C8. The following error occurred:
The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

This is the message I'm getting in Event Viewer everytime I lose my connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.