1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless connection to Router good but Internet connection drops

Discussion in 'Networking' started by voycie, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. voycie

voycie Thread Starter

Hi,

Hoping someone can help.

I have a Sony Vaio laptop running Windows XP with a wireless connection to a broadband router.

Several weeks ago my laptop started dropping the internet connection randomly (I'm alos unabel to access email when this happens).

My wireless network icon in my toolbar shows the connection as 'Excellent' but for some reason both Internet and Email is not available. The only way to fix the problem has been to restart my laptop which is very frustrating.

I've noticed that this also happens randomly when I'm at home (using different wireless broadband modem) so I think the issue is my laptop not the 2 x routers/modems.

I'm running NOD32 for security as well (but have been for 4 years now with no problems till now).

Please help.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:So you are having this problem at two different locations ?
    Think I might download/install from the Sony site,the latest driver for your wireless adapter.
    Also run this app and let's see what wireless activity is around you and what you signal strength really is
    Wifi test exe. Hint from Johnwill

Download and run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspecto from
    Xirrus: The Leader in High Performance Wi-Fi - Advanced IT Wi-Fi Networking Tools
    on the problem machine. Post a screen shot of the main screen here.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button
    to upload it here.

Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

3. voycie

voycie Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Here is the screen shot you requested - see attached.

Attached Files:

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, in that location, you have three strong wireless networks all running on channel 11, so it's not surprising. I'd try changing the channel to channel 3 or 9 to start.

5. voycie

voycie Thread Starter

Hi,

I can try that but I also get the same problem at home (with the Internet connection dropping). I don't have the same amount of wireless networks round me when I'm home, so not sure that is the issue.

Do you still think I should change my channel? If I do this here at work will it effect how I connect at home?

How do I change the channel?

6. JohnWill

It shouldn't affect you at home at all. We'd have to see the diagnostic in the home environment to know if that might be an issue there.

7. voycie

voycie Thread Starter

My computer lost it's Internet connection this morning and I've recorded the details from Event Viewer. They are:
    Event Viewer - System
    Source = DHCP
    Type = Warning
    Message = Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0018DED6B8C8. The following error occurred:
    The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

This is the message I'm getting in Event Viewer everytime I lose my connection.

8. voycie

voycie Thread Starter

Ok - based on my latest post - Event Viewer - do you still want me to change my channel? If so can you please let me know how I do that?

Thanks

9. JohnWill

You have to change the channel in the router's configuration, not on the workstation.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/956003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice