1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless connection with d link adapter

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dconway01, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dconway01

dconway01 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have a dlink dwl - 122 wireless usb adapter, a pc with windows xp2 and a netopia wg3347 wireless modem and I have installed the drivers for the adapter and installed the adapter and I successfully got the wireless connection to work. However it is not consistent. I started up the machine the next day and the wireless connection did not work, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and installed the usb adapter and it all worked find again. Then I started up the machine a few days later and the same thing happened again. So this time I just reverted back to a wired connection, but I would like to go wireless again. I do not know why it keeps happening. Does anyone have any ideas.
    Please let me know
    thanks

2. GyverX

GyverX

*** My Lost Reply
    My self, I am just getting into the wireless scene. You may have to log into your connection from the computer that is wireless. THis is, however, if you are using WEP with key's One thing I have notice is that you said you have a wireless MODEM. THis may be the cause that if you have more than one PC trying to access that Modem and that modem is not in any way a router then that modem can only give access to the intenet to one computer at a time.

Does any of this make sense? Let us know so we can help further

Answer these questions.
    How many computers are you using with the wg3347 wireless modem?
    How many net wrork cable can you plug into the back of this modem?

Answer those questions and we'll go from there :)

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I started up the machine the next day and the wireless connection did not work ..."

Be more specific, please. Are you using Windows' utility or a Dlink utility to manage the connection? What exactly happens when you use it to try to connect?

Or is the wireless adapter not even recognised? If you unplug it and plug it back in does it then work without the uninstall/reinstall?

Is your signal encrypted?

4. DBClark

DBClark

USB adapters can be "flacky" at times.

Check the manufacturers website for newer drivers for the adapter. If none, you can also try and let Windows handle the wireless connection. To do this, you may be able to right click the connection software icon in your systray and opt to let windows handle it. You will have to enter your SSID and security info if you are using it.

5. dconway01

dconway01 Thread Starter

HI,
    Thanks for all your replies, here is me trying to answer all the questions:
    1) It is a 4 port wireless modem and there is one machine that I am using with it. Yes it is windows that manages the connection,when the pc goes looking for the wireless netwrok it seems to be a windows that is searching. What happens is windows finds the wireless network but it is unable to connect- it just keeps trying to connect but fails to.
    If I plug and unplug the adapter it still does not work, I have to ininstall and reinstall.
    There are no newer drivers on the website.
    I think maybe that it might the following reason why there is a problem: The adapter is 802.11b and the modem is 802.11g- do you think that could be the problem?

6. DBClark

DBClark

This could be a problem if the router is set to accept "g" clients only. All the routers that I have dealt with that have g, are compatible with b.

Do you know how to access the routers setup/configuration from your browser?

7. dconway01

dconway01 Thread Starter

yes I do,

8. DBClark

DBClark

Make sure that b clents are included in your set up.

Do you have security enabled...and if so, have you entered the correct key, passphrase?

Until you have this up and running you may want to disable security...and then re-enable after you have it connecting.

9. DBClark

DBClark

When you go back and forth between wired and wireless, it may be a good idea to power cycle the modem/router before switching.

If you do not successfully connect to the internet, please post the results of your ipconfig /all command from a dos prompt.

10. Craig77

Craig77

Open a Dos box and Type IPCONFIG /ALL check to see if the IP address assigned to the adapter is in the same range as the modem. See if you can ping the modem type
    PING (IP address of Modem) 192.168.xx.xx. If you get a reply at least teh adapter and modemare on teh same subnet. If this works try resetting thr modem back to factory defaults and see if you get a connection.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Make sure that b clents are included in your set up."

I do not disagree with DBClark, but if you are only using the one wireless computer, why not just set the router to use b band only?

Definitely disable encryption until you have a connection.

While you shouldn't have to power cycle anything when switching between wireless and wired, it's a good idea to do so when you are having trouble. It's been necessary for me to do so once in a while.

Since you are not getting a wireless connection at all, it's really safe to assume that you are not getting a valid IP configuration.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice