Wireless Connection Woes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ggtande

I am attempting to add a laptop computer to my existing home network which currently includes an XP Dell desktop computer and a printer, all working fine. My access point is an Actiontec GT701-WG DSL Modem with Wireless Gateway. The laptop is a Dell Inspirion 5100 running under XP with a Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini-PC card (internal). The laptop gets very strong to excellent signal strength but won't connect completely. My diagnostics are 'Limited to no Connectivity', as well as 'the network did not assign a network address to the computer'. My efforts at researching this problem have only led me to suspect that I am trying to add a machine using 802.11b to a network using 802.11g and I have no idea how to verify this or proceed in another direction if this is not an issue.

I have attempted to reset Internet protocol per Microsoft article 299357, which seemed to go OK (no error messages), updated the driver for the TrueMobile card, and have tired tweaking with the network adapter device settings after that and still no change in my results.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that is forthcoming.

TerryNet

Terry
Welcome ggtande. Let me ask a few questions to try to get a better handle on your problem.

Is the Dhcp server on the router enabled and you have your wireless adaptor set to 'obtain IP automatically'?

Are you shooting yourself in the foot by having the router do MAC address filtering or a greatly restricted Dhcp address range?

Is your wireless signal encrypted?

Are there other wireless signals present, and are you sure that you are attempting to connect to yours?

What makes you think, "... add a machine using 802.11b ..."?

ggtande

Thanks for the reply. I am a beginner at this kind of thing and don't know a some of the answers you need. I had over-the-phone help from Qwest setting up the Actiontec and don't recall all the setup details, unfortunately, with retards to 'obtain IP automatically', 'Dhcp server enablement' and 'MAC address filtering or a greatly restricted Dhcp address range'.

I do have an encrypted home network that I created and named and am sure it's the one I am attempting to connect to. I see others for which I do not have a key nor do I want one. I suspect that the adapter is 802.11b because I did some looking at the laptop internal adapter vendor (Broadcom) website and that model(TrueMobile 1300 mini-PC) was shown as 802.11b only in a document I found using their search facility. That is why I updated the driver to see if it would make a difference by adding 'g'.

When I bought the adapter for my desktop I chose and installed a LINKSYS Wireless - G PCI adapter.

Hope this helps.

TerryNet

Terry
OK, open your browser on your desktop and in the address field type
That should access the Actiontec. Find your way to the wireless section and disable the encryption and, since you're only going to be using 'b' for now, change the Actiontec to use 'b.' If you took note of the channels used by those other signals, use a different one (ideally there'd be no more than 3 networks in an area and they would use channels 1, 6 and 11). Try to connect with the laptop.

If you get connected, then go back (with the desktop) and enable encryption again, and try to reconnect the laptop.

I probably won't be online again until Friday, but somebody surely somebody else will pick up the slack if you have less than 100% success.

If necessary we'll come back to my earlier questions with help on finding the answers.
Terry

ggtande

With Qwest phone tech support leading me I verified that the Actiontec is functioning and tried a different channel. Also established successful connection to the Internet using an Ethernet cable from the laptop to the Actiontec. Also installed a LINKSYS Wireless G Notebook Adapter. Same wireless connectivity problem remains. Qwest said they did all they can and suggested I call LINKSYS.

TerryNet

Terry
Since you "tried a different channel" I know that, with the tech support, you accessed the Actiontec's setup/status pages. Since you connected the laptop via ethernet OK, let's assume that the Dhcp server is enabled, etc.

Have you disabled the encryption yet? It's always best to remove this variable until an initial wireless connection is made.

Disable one of the laptop's wireless adaptors while trying to connect with the other one.

ggtande

Tried changing Actiontec security setting under 'wireless setup' from 'WEP' to 'Off' and lost all connectivity. Was this the change I needed to make? Also what will I need to do to set security back on? Thanks

TerryNet

Terry
Now try to connect, without the variable of encryption.

If you made the change with a wireless connection, now you know why it's always advised to use an ethernet connection when making router changes. :)

ggtande

I know you are trying to assist me but i am going in the wrong direction fast. I have now lost the wireless connectivity to my desktop which has been fine for months. It gives me the same messages I got when trying to add the laptop to my network. I now only have connectivity with the laptop via the Ethernet connection and what's even better is the last Qwest tech that I just spoke with says she cannot help me get that back even though it's her product,the Actiontec, that is my wireless access point. Time to get a new provider I guess.

TerryNet

Terry
You might want to spend some quality time with the User Guide for your Actiontec. :)

In the wireless section, you should have the Dhcp server enabled, SSID broadcast enabled, and the SSID that you said you assigned earlier. Are there any other settings you see there that you have questions about?

Now, using whatever utility you use with one of your adaptors on one computer, when you view or scan for wireless networks, do you see yours? If so, tell it to connect.

Quest is providing you with a modem/router, but it is not their product. Any ISP you get will help you connect with them, but they are not going to try to help much with your home network. For that, you need to learn something about it, pay somebody (every time there is a change or problem) to come in and configure it, or count on some free help like on this forum.

ggtande

I've established connectivity with the laptop by resetting the WEP on both machines with a new 64 bit key, but when I shut down the laptop computer and later reboot the WEP somehow gets changed on this machine and has to be reset before I can reconnect to the network. So I am making progress slowly

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.